Guantánamo notifying lawyers for prisoners on feeding tubes

 

Lawyers for prisoners held at Guantánamo say the U.S. government has begun notifying them if their clients are being force-fed during a hunger strike at the U.S. base in Cuba.

Lawyer Cori Crider said Monday she was among those to get the first-time notification. She was told Sami Mukbel of Yemen was being force-fed and was allowed to speak with him by phone Monday.

Crider says he has lost about 30 pounds since the strike began in February as a protest over indefinite confinement and what prisoners say are intrusive searches of their Qurans.

A military spokesman says the U.S. previously avoided discussing any prisoner by name. The military said that, as of Monday, there were 42 prisoners on hunger strike —11 being fed through tubes to prevent dangerous weight loss. Lawyers have argued for weeks that the hunger strike is far more widespread.

Read more Guantánamo stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Col. Vince H. Spath, chief Air Force trial judge.

    WAR COURT

    Guantánamo judge steps down from USS Cole case, names Air Force successor

    The chief judge of the Guantánamo war court quit the USS Cole case on Thursday and assigned a U.S. Air Force colonel to preside at the likely first death-penalty trial of the the Obama administration’s military commissions.

  •  
The Army officer in charge of the Camp 6 prison accompanies the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, inside a show cell at the $39 million, 200-cell prison building while Rear Adm. Richard Butler, the commander of detention center operations, stands outside.

    Military brass backed Bergdahl prisoner swap

    The chairman and the Joint Chiefs of Staff unanimously supported the Obama administration's exchange of five Taliban leaders for an Army sergeant who was a prisoner of war in Afghanistan for five years.

  •  
Omar Khadr, at age 15, in the summer of 2002, learning to build land mines in Afghanistan, in a photo used as an exhibit by a war court prosecutor at the U.S. Navy base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The prosecution asked a jury to sentence Khadr, now 24, to 25 years. The jury instead gave him 40.

    Ex-Guantánamo inmate gets Canada prison transfer

    Alberta’s top court has granted an application by former Guantánamo Bay detainee Omar Khadr to be transferred to a provincial jail from a federal medium-security prison in the western Canadian province.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category