Authorities: Neighbor claims battery by Bieber

 

CALABASAS, Calif. (AP) – Deputies were investigating claims made Tuesday by a neighbor that Justin Bieber attacked and threatened him during an argument in suburban Los Angeles, authorities said.

No one was arrested and few details were immediately available.

A representative of Bieber, Melissa Victor, did not immediately return a request for comment.

Online schedules indicate the “Baby” singer is in the midst of a European tour and performed a show in Poland on Monday night.

Authorities were called to the Calabasas scene just after 9 a.m., said Steve Whitmore, spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

“There have been allegations made against Mr. Bieber of battery and making threats,” Whitmore said.

It’s unclear who called authorities, and whether there might have been previous problems between the 19-year-old singer and neighbors, Whitmore said.

In recent years, the Canadian singer has been constantly chased by paparazzi while publicly morphing from an almost angelic mop-topped teen to an adult battling a bad boy image.

Recently, Bieber lashed out at paparazzi and lunged at one photographer as members of the singer’s entourage held him back.

Last summer, he got a speeding ticket while trying to avoid a bevy of photographers on a Los Angeles freeway in his distinctive chrome Fisker Karma.

He collapsed backstage during a recent London concert and canceled a performance in Portugal.

Prosecutors decided against filing charges after the pop star was accused of kicking and punching a photographer outside a Calabasas movie theater in May 2012.

Earlier this year, an ex-bodyguard sued Bieber for alleged assault and more than $420,000 in unpaid wages. Moshe Benabou claims Bieber repeatedly punched him in the chest after an argument over the singer’s entourage.

Lately, the slim singer has taken to whipping off his shirt in public places.

The investigation was first reported by TMZ.com.

Read more People stories from the Miami Herald

  • La vida local

    Marlon Wayans couldn’t let it rest: he’s back for ‘A Haunted House 2’

    Last time we spoke to Marlon Wayans, he was promoting A Haunted House back in January 2013.

  • Celebrity roundup

    Valerie Harper: I’m not ‘cancer free’

    Sounded too good to be true, and it was: Valerie Harper is not “cancer free,” as Closer Weekly reported. There is no cure for leptomeningeal carcinomatosis, cancer of the meninges around Harper’s brain. The veteran actress says in a statement that the magazine’s reporter misunderstood when she said her most recent full body scan was clean and that the cancer had not spread.

  • Jay Z to bring Made in America music fest to LA

    LOS ANGELES (AP) – The Budweiser Made in America music festival is coming to Los Angeles, but who is performing and how the city will manage the two-day concert are still mysteries.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category