Fire forced dozens of residents at a Miami assisted living facility out of their homes for hours Saturday night.
The fire started on the 6th floor of Haley Sofge Tower at 800 NW 13th Ave.,according to spokesman Lt. Ignatius Carroll.
The fire may have been started by candles.
Firefighters and police helped residents evacuate. One officer suffered smoke inhalation and was transported to the hospital, along with a woman who lives in the unit where the fire started.
Firefighters say the third, fourth, and fifth floors of the building suffered major water damage. “The sprinkler system activated, but where the sprinkler head was located was unable to reach the fire,” Carroll said.
Elevators did not work and elderly residents in higher floors were stuck in their apartments.
Electrical inspectors determined they could stay on the damaged floors of the building.
Residents were allowed back in after 11 p.m. Saturday.