Miami Beach

Miami Beach ambulance takes 31 minutes to go 2 miles; man dies

Miami Beach fire rescue workers took 31 minutes to answer a call for help earlier this month — at a home just 2 miles from the nearest fire station, according to a police report.

The 65-year-old man waiting for help was pronounced dead three minutes after rescue workers finally arrived at his home in the Venetian Islands neighborhood.

The Fire Department is looking into the incident.

“We know there was a delay, and we are investigating,” fire Capt. Adonis Garcia said. “We are looking at it from top to bottom — from the phone call itself, to the dispatch, to the fire response, to everything.”

The deceased man’s wife called for help at 9:05 a.m. on March 5, according to a police report, after finding her husband splayed out on the floor. The husband, who had diabetes and Crohn’s disease, was “coherent and talking” when his wife ran to dial 911, according to an email the woman sent to a neighborhood email list.

The Fire Department was dispatched seven minutes after her first call — at 9:12 a.m., according to a police report.

As the couple waited for help, the wife wrote that she frantically ran between the bedroom where her husband lay, and outside, in the hopes of seeing a rescue truck. She called 911 one more time before rescue arrived at 9:36 a.m., according to her email and the police report.

“The rescue brought in an EKG machine, only to be told by a walkie talkie that it was offline and not working,” the wife wrote. “They started CPR and could not revive him.”

The man was pronounced dead at 9:39 a.m., according to police. The cause of death is not listed in the police report. The Fire Department said it couldn’t release the report on the call, citing medical privacy reasons.

The rescuers said they were delayed 10 minutes because of a raised drawbridge, the wife wrote in her email. The police report makes no mention of that.

Garcia, the fire captain, said that dispatch regularly communicates with drawbridge operators to make sure rescue trucks can get to their calls.

Normally, the Fire Department takes between 4 and 6 minutes to respond to requests for help, he added.

“We’re one of the fastest in the state,” Garcia said.

The wife’s email has made its way to City Hall.

“I was numb when I read it,” said City Commissioner Ed Tobin.

He said he has asked the city manager and fire chief for an investigation into what happened.

“It seems inexcusable,” he said, but added that he would wait to see what conclusions an investigation yields.

“Fire rescue is normally a department that gets nothing but accolades,” he said. “I’ll wait until I jump the gun.”

Follow @Cveiga on Twitter.

Read more 5-Minute Herald stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category