The women in these videos don’t appear to match the description of many of the women in the emails from the shadowy tipster, who suggested in one email to the FBI that he had nothing to do with the women in the Daily Caller video.
Figueroa, who did not return calls for comment, previously told The Miami Herald that he no longer has contact with the women and that claims that he orchestrated the scheme were untrue.
According to details of the investigation released Monday, Figueroa brought the women to a hotel in La Romana, a coastal city two hours east of the capital, Santo Domingo. They planned to record the videos there, but scrapped the plan because there was no Wi-Fi Internet signal.
They moved to a shopping center in La Romana, where they sat on wood benches for the interviews.
There, two women were recorded, claiming to have been paid as escorts for sex around Easter at the exclusive development Casa de Campo, where Melgen owns a home.
The Daily Caller has said that a third woman was standing by to be interviewed by webcam when the laptop battery died.
On Monday, a spokeswoman for the publication said it was “looking into the new developments.”
Melgen’s lawyer, Kirk Ogrosky, said in a statement that the investigation “is further evidence corroborating what we have been saying from day one — that the allegations against Dr. Melgen are false and politically motivated.”
Ogrosky said “right-wing propagandists purporting to be journalists have done irreparable harm to Dr. Melgen and his family.”
The women’s claims helped fuel a scandal that entangled Menendez, Melgen, and a Dominican lawyer, Vinicio Castillo, who is Melgen’s cousin and the son of the powerful Dominican drug czar Vincho Castillo.
Last month, Castillo asked the police and a specialized investigative unit that handles high-tech crimes to open a criminal investigation to find the source of the allegations.