ON THE BASE

Navy ruling ends commercial flights to Guantánamo from South Florida

 

Verbatim | Guantánamo statement

Guantánamo Navy Base spokeswoman Kelly Wirfel issued the following statement by email Friday afternoon:

“The Civil Aircraft Landing Permit granted to IBC Airways by Naval Station (NS) Guantánamo Bay is not in compliance with Department of Defense regulations. As a result, the installation is withdrawing its current permit and scheduled commercial operations by IBC Airways to NS Guantánamo Bay will end by April 30, 2013.

“After a detailed review of Federal Regulations it has been brought to the attention of the installation Commanding Officer that allowing IBC Airways to operate out of NS Guantánamo Bay is a violation of regulation 32CFR766.

“The flight out of Andrews Air Force base that carries the attorneys, legal observers, ICRC, journalists and others that travel here to support the military commissions will continue to fly on the schedule established by OMC. All base residents are authorized to fly on AMC flights. These rules Apply to ALL base residents to include our foreign national employees.

Also journalists or other groups wishing to travel to the base can charter flights through IBC and any other licensed carrier to supplement/augment travel.

“There is no expectation that GTMO will increase C12 activity to South Florida, however we have started a working group with TRANSCOM, AMC And CNRSE to address the transportation needs of the Naval Station.”

Wirfel declined to elaborate or provide a copy of the regulation cited as the basis for the decision of the base commander.


crosenberg@miamiherald.com

The Guantánamo Navy commander is halting commercial air passenger service from South Florida to the remote outpost in southeast Cuba, invoking a federal regulation that the Pentagon had apparently waived for years.

Fort Lauderdale-based IBC Travel said Friday that it will cease its several times a week service to and from the base after April 5, on an order from Navy Capt. John “JR” Nettleton to discontinue service by May 1. It will continue weekly cargo flights to the base, said IBC spokesman Richard Rose, with permission from Nettleton.

The airline will also offer $17,000 one-day charters between South Florida and Guantánamo on a case-by-case basis, by agreement with the base commander, Rose said.

Base spokeswoman Kelly Wirfel declined to say whether a specific episode caused the base to abandon commercial service on small aircraft that stretched at least into the 1980s. “After a detailed review of Federal Regulations it has been brought to the attention of the installation commanding officer that allowing IBC Airways to operate out of NS Guantánamo Bay is a violation of regulation 32CFR766,” she said by email.

Rose said the interpretation meant that no commercial operator could provide regular passenger service to the base. IBC was the latest in a series of small South Florida airlines including Tropical Aviation, Air Sunshine and Lynx, which since at least the ’80s been regularly flying the base where about 6,000 residents live today.

The small shuttles that carry about 20 passengers had been a vital air bridge to Guantánamo, especially since the U.S. Supreme Court gave attorneys access to the prisoners in August 2004. The flight also served as a gateway for journalists, entertainers, business executives and contractors who streamed to the base in the years following the establishment of the prison camps in January 2002.

Once IBC stops flying, according to base spokeswoman Wirfel, lawyers and journalists can ask the Defense Department’s Office of Military Commissions for a seat on its weekly flight from Andrews Air Force Base, near Washington, D.C. The government mounts the mostly wide-body charter flights for $90,000, usually departing Washington on Monday, according to a May 2012 war court filing. The schedule for return flights varies.

Red Cross delegates who come and go on regular missions to inspect the prison camps where about 1,700 Army guards and staff are responsible for 166 captives can fly on the war-court shuttles as well, Wirfel said.

Attorneys responded with annoyance to the development.

“Of late, the Defense Department has been trying to restrict lawyers’ access to imprisoned clients who do not have pending cases, it has been violating the attorney-client privilege, and now it is eliminating the only non-military route to Guantánamo,” said New York lawyer Ramzi Kassem, who visits the base regularly to meet detainees.

“Having no other options doesn’t just harm the prisoners and their lawyers,” he added. “It also hurts workers, service members and their loved ones.”

American service members and base residents, including foreign laborers from Jamaica and the Philippines, will be able to reach Guantánamo on a special Navy-run shuttle service between Guantánamo, Jacksonville and Norfolk, Va., known on base as “the rotator.” Passengers are required to pay for those flights based on a government formula that dictates different costs for different status of traveler.

It was unclear how the Navy would bring in the entertainers who regularly shuttle to Guantánamo. Some were regularly seen utilizing the South Florida shuttles but also would turn up on dedicated military flights. For example, the Dolphins cheerleaders traveled on a small military flight to the base for a couple of days around the Super Bowl to sign autographs, put on a stage show and teach routines to the children of service members and contractors.

Rose, at IBC, said the airline, which also flies to Haiti, Jamaica and elsewhere in the Caribbean, was disappointed it was losing the route after just receiving FAA certification to use two 30-seat ERJ-145 commuter jets for the Guantánamo route. IBC had been flying to the base using smaller, slower aircraft since August 2011.

Read more Guantánamo stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Algerian Djamel Ameziane, a 42-year-old ethnic Berber, has been approved for release but wants to go to Canada, or another country, rather than the nation he fled in 1992. His lawyers have chosen Canada because he lived there for five years, and filed a failed application for political asylum. From Canada he went to Afghanistan, where he was captured in the U.S. invasion.

    IN THE COURTS

    Ex-Guantánamo detainee can’t get his money back

    Federal judge concludes a former Guantánamo detainee may no longer be a threat, but his money is.

  •  
The Kremlin.

    Russia bans congressman, 12 other Americans

    Russia has placed a U.S. lawmaker and 12 other people connected with the Guantanamo Bay detention camp and the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq on its list of those banned from entering the country.

  •  
In this image from video, Eugene R. Fidell, the lawyer representing Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl said Wednesday, July 16, 2014, in an interview with The Associated Press that his client has been vilified by some people, but the public should not leap to conclusions before the Army finishes its investigation into how and why the soldier left his post in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban.

    Bergdahl hires lawyer for military investigation

    The lawyer representing Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl said Wednesday that his client has been vilified by some people, but the public should not leap to conclusions before the Army finishes its investigation into how and why the soldier left his post in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category