NFL wide receiver Stallworth burned in South Dade hot-air balloon crash

 

dovalle@MiamiHerald.com

On a crystal-clear Saturday morning, NFL wide receiver Donte’ Stallworth took his girlfriend on a romantic hot-air balloon ride over the sprawling farm fields and ranchettes of South Miami-Dade. The occasion: her recent birthday.

But the ride turned into nightmare after the balloon pilot, who boasts of a perfect safety record, struck power lines as they were landing — severely injuring the couple.

Stallworth, who is a free agent and most recently a member of the New England Patriots, and Soleil Guerrero, 27, were rushed to Kendall Regional Medical Center.

Guerrero’s burns are considered much more severe than those suffered by Stallworth, 32, who is expected to resume his career on the gridiron. The balloon operator was not injured.

“Donte’ is in good spirits, considering the pain, but his primary focus is on the well-being of Soleil,” said his attorney, Christopher Lyons.

The unusual air accident comes almost exactly four years after Stallworth was involved in another tragic crash in South Florida, where he maintains a home.

In March 2009, Stallworth hit and killed 59-year-old crane pedestrian Mario Reyes on the MacArthur Causeway in an early morning car crash. Blood tests showed Stallworth, who was driving his Bentley home after an evening at a nightclub, had a blood-alcohol level of .126, well above the legal limit.

He pleaded guilty to DUI manslaughter, spent 24 days in jail and was ordered to extensive probation.

The speedy wide receiver, then playing with the Cleveland Browns, later resumed his career with Baltimore, Washington and last year, the New Patriots.

Saturday’s crash happened at about 10 a.m. at Southwest 296th Street and 217th Avenue. The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating.

For the air ride, Stallworth had hired Balloon Over Miami, run by Aaron Farber, 39, of West Kendall. On his website, Farber describes himself as a “very skilled and experienced” lighter-than-air and commercial fixed-wing pilot with a “perfect safety record.”

Farber could not be reached for comment.

As for Stallworth, he is on the job market. Drew Rosenhaus, Stallworth’s agent, said Saturday that “he should be fine.”

“It’s not going to have a long-term effect on him,” Rosenhaus said. “He’ll be returning in a few weeks to regular football activities and we expect him to resume his NFL career.”

Read more Top Sports Stories stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Miami Marlins manager Mike Redmond reacts furiously after the safe call at the plate by the umpire in the eight inning during their game against the Cincinnati Reds at Marlins Park in Miami on July 31, 2014.

    Reds 3, Marlins 1

    Miami Marlins left raging after replay review helps Cincinnati Reds to victory

    The Marlins lost to the Reds after a play at the plate, in which Cincinnati’s Zack Cozart was thrown out at the plate, was reversed.

  •  
Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice answers question during a news conference after NFL football training camp practice in Owings Mills, Md. on July 31, 2014.

    In My Opinion | David J. Neal

    David J. Neal: NFL fumbled on Ray Rice punishment, then tried to justify it

    Baltimore Ravins running back Ray Rice spoke publicly Thursday for the first time since security camera video and NFL discipline transformed him into the latest domestic violence national talking point. Rice occasionally came off as self-centered. He also indulged in some self-victimization. Generally, however, he seemed seriously ashamed of the actions toward his wife in February that got him charged with felony aggravated assault.

  •  
Joey Grosso was added to the UM football 105-man roster Tuesday and died Wednesday while scuba diving during lobster miniseason.

    UM FOOTBALL

    Man who died scuba diving was added to Miami Hurricanes roster a day earlier

    Joey Grosso, the 22-year-old Lighthouse Point resident and former Penn linebacker who died Wednesday while scuba diving on the first day of lobster mini-season, had been added to the 105-man Miami Hurricanes football roster Tuesday, UM confirmed Thursday.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category