GAMBLING

Internet cafe probe snags dozens, could doom industry in Florida

 

WHAT’S NEXT

Gov. Rick Scott and other Florida politicians are saying their campaigns and the Republican and Democratic parties should refund any donations they received from Allied Veterans, International Internet or its employees. So far, there is no indication that any was given by Allied Veterans, but International Internet gave nearly $500,000 into campaign accounts since 2009. Allied Veterans paid at least $490,000 to lobbyists and International Internet Technologies, more than $1.2 million between 2009-2012. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement says it is investigating political connections to the Allied Veterans. Scott says he will wait until at least May before appointing Carroll's successor.

- The Associated Press


Herald/Times Tallahassee Bureau

Owners of dozens of Internet gambling centers in Florida were arrested Wednesday as part of a three-year investigation into Jacksonville-based Allied Veterans of the World, a purported charity group that, authorities say, collected millions of dollars for itself and little money for veterans.

The probe led to the arrest of 55 individuals in Florida and five other states and prompted the resignation of Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll. Two suspects remained at large Wednesday.

It is the “first wave” of Operation Reveal the Deal, which targets illicit slot machine operators who exploited a loophole in the state’s sweepstakes laws, Gerald Bailey, commissioner of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement said at a news conference in Orlando.

Targeted in the crackdown were owners and operators of 49 gambling centers affiliated with Allied Veterans of the World, an organization registered as a charity but which gave only 2 percent of its profits over three years to charitable causes. None were in Broward or Miami-Dade counties; three were in Monroe. Carroll’s consulting company had represented Allied Veterans until she became lieutenant governor in 2011. Police would not say whether Carroll received payments from the group while serving lieutenant governor.

“Their premise of charity is a lie — a lie to our citizens and a lie to our veterans,” Bailey said. “Our investigators believe that the reality is that each gambling center is operated by the owners of for-profit agencies that funnel the bulk of the money back to themselves.”

He said charges would be forthcoming next week against those in custody on suspicion of illegal gambling, racketeering and money laundering. He emphasized that there would be additional probes into other Internet cafes not affiliated with Allied Veterans.

The games operate by giving customers a prepaid card to play a “sweepstakes” game on a computer that offers a game with the look and feel of a slot machine. Winners of games with names such as “Captain Cash,” “Lucky Shamrocks” and “Money Bunny” rack up winnings and then go to a cashier to cash out their winnings.

Seminole County Sheriff Donald Eslinger, who launched the investigations that sparked the dragnet, said the operations of other gaming centers are believed to be “contrary to the law” but police “have delayed the pursuit of criminal charges against them so as not to jeopardize this investigation.”

Asked whether any other elected officials would be implicated in the probe, Bailey said: “That is one of the issues that is going to be taken up in the second wave of the operation.”

Meanwhile, the investigations prompted Senate President Don Gaetz, R-Niceville, and Gaming Committee Chairman Garrett Richter, R-Naples, to introduce legislation next Monday that would ban Internet cafes in Florida. The Florida House last year passed legislation that would ban the gaming centers, but the Senate, concerned about the impact on jobs, refused to go along.

Richter said the Senate leadership had been supportive of imposing a moratorium opening new Internet cafes until the Legislature took a comprehensive look at gambling laws next year. But the revelations this week, he said, have “expedited the thinking going forward.”

Mary Ellen Klas can be reached at meklas@MiamiHerald.com and on Twitter @MaryEllenKlas.

Read more Florida stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category