Miami Dolphins

Source: Reggie Bush not returning to Miami Dolphins

 

According to a source, Reggie Bush has been contacted by three teams already, and he will not be returning to Miami.

abeasley@MiamiHerald.com

Saturday might have been the official start of the NFL’s three-day negotiating period, but it brought little in the way of real news.

Except this: Reggie Bush’s days with the Dolphins appear to be over.

As expected, the market for Bush has proved to be strong, with three teams contacting Bush’s representation on the first day allowed, according to a source close to the running back. The salaries discussed are said to be significant.

However, the Dolphins are not one of those teams showing interest, and Bush categorically will not return to the team in 2013, the source added.

Although the news shouldn’t be a surprise — it has become clear over the past few months that the Dolphins intend to go forward with Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas — it might still be unsettling for many fans. Bush was a popular player, both locally and nationally, and was the closest thing the team had to a true star.

Detroit and Arizona are among the teams said to have interest in Bush, 28.

Since joining the Dolphins via trade before the 2011 season, Bush has averaged 1,036 rushing yards per season and has scored 12 touchdowns.

In other news, three leaders have emerged in the Sean Smith sweepstakes: the Buccaneers, Patriots and Cardinals. Other teams are in believed to be in the mix, as well.

As for Jake Long, the Dolphins did not show any urgency in re-signing him Saturday morning. Like Bush, Long and Smith appear destined to play elsewhere next season.

Finally, add Bryan McCann to the list of Dolphins who will soon be out of contract. General manager Jeff Ireland notified McCann late last week that the Dolphins do not plan to offer the restricted free agent a tender of any sort. McCann, who played in eight games for Miami last season, will explore his options in free agency, although a return to Miami down the road is a possibility.

As far as free agents not currently on Miami’s roster, there hadn’t been much contact between the Dolphins and Greg Jennings’ representation as of Saturday afternoon. Jennings and Mike Wallace are widely seen as the top two wide receiver options on the market.

FoxSports.com reported Saturday that the Dolphins have the early lead in the race to land Wallace, in part because of South Florida’s warm climate.

Anquan Boldin also could be an option; USA Today reported Saturday that Boldin rejected Baltimore’s offer to restructure his contract, and the Ravens could cut him to free up cap space.

Read more Top Sports Stories stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category