Free admission, fewer art pieces at “Haring Miami”

 

ejester@MiamiHerald.com

The “Haring Miami” exhibit in the Design District is showcasing signficantly fewer pieces of art.

Following a court order from the Keith Haring Foundation in New York, which is not affiliated with the Miami event, producers have removed about 165 pieces from the exhibit. The 10 remaining pieces were the only ones deemed authentic by the Haring Foundation.

The court order also called for the destruction of brochures and a catalog related to the show, which was co-produced by Michael Rosen and Manny Hernandez.

Admission to the exhibit, which opened Wednesday, was originally $25 online or $30 at the door. On Saturday, Rosen said, show organizers decided to drop the admission fee, since people will only be seeing 10 works of art.

The first 200 visitors to “Haring Miami” received free admission on Saturday. In lieu of admission after that, producers asked for donations to Best Buddies, an organization for the advancement of people with developmental disabilities.

“Everything’s benefiting Best Buddies at this point,” Rosen said. “We love Best Buddies.”

The Best Buddies logo, a Keith Haring image of two people with arms slung around one another’s shoulders, is one of Haring’s most recognizable art works.

“Haring Miami” closes Sunday. The event is open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Read more Breaking News stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
An second floor view of the east half of FIU Arena court Monday afternoon. Some of the dents appear as small scratches from above.

    Fitness event damages FIU basketball court

    A weekend CrossFit competition broke the beach-themed FIU Arena court that FIU volleyball, women’s basketball and men’s basketball teams call home.

  • Healthcare

    Florida leads nation in unverified ACA applicants

    More than 35,000 people in Florida — a higher number than in any other state with a federally run insurance exchange — missed a Sept. 5 deadline to provide evidence that their citizenship or residency status makes them eligible for coverage under the Affordable Care Act, a federal official said Monday.

  •  
In this image made available from the UNHCR on Monday Sept. 15, 2014 American actress, Angelina Jolie, centre, who serves as Special Envoy for the United Nations High Commission for Refugees, listens to officers in the Maltese military discuss rescue at sea operations for refugees at a military base in Valetta, Malta on Sunday, Sept. 14, 2014. Since the start of 2014, more than 2,500 asylum seekers have perished trying to cross the Mediterranean.

    700 feared dead in 2 Mediterranean boat wrecks

    This year is on track to become the deadliest ever for migrants crossing the Mediterranean Sea after two heavily loaded boats were wrecked in the past week, possibly killing 700 people fleeing Africa for Europe — the same number as died during all of last year.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category