A quick inventory as South Florida plows forward through its all-round busiest sports month:
LeBron James and the Heat steaming toward a second consecutive NBA championship.
Highly ranked Miami Hurricanes preparing for the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament then an NCAA run.
Marlins Park hosting World Baseball Classic games.
Tiger Woods and the rest of the PGA Tour prowling Dorals Blue Monster.
The worlds top tennis stars headed to Key Biscayne.
Panthers hosting the Montreal Canadiens.
Dolphins poised to strike big in NFL free agency.
Thats not to mention Gulfstream Park preparing for the Florida Derby, spring training baseball, premier sailors racing on Biscayne Bay and the nations top amateur soccer tournament wrapping up in Hialeah.
Im sorry. What? Were you talking? Youll have to speak up. I think you were saying something about Miami being such a lousy sports town, but as usual, I couldnt quite hear you on account of all the cheering.
• Dolphins officials decried the legitimacy of a mysterious local poll indicating 73 percent of voters oppose a tax break to help pay for $400 million in stadium improvements. A previous poll showed 100 percent opposition, but it turned out the only voter polled was Norman Braman.
• The NCAAs handling of the Miami case got even more farcical with reports an enforcement official beseeched a judge for lenience in sentencing convicted Ponzi schemer/UM booster Nevin Shapiro. I think if we walked into NCAA headquarters right now, wed see people in tiny Shriner cars riding in circles.
• Roger Federer said he would not play in Key Biscayne next week, a blow to the annual tennis tournament. Couldnt we save a bunch of time and effort by just handing the championship trophies now to Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams?
• New Doral owner Donald Trump said the Blue Monster course would undergo a complete makeover. I was going to say it was going to get nuked, but I refuse to use that expression, he said, apparently forgetting that he refuses to use that expression.
• Approved NHL realignment into four larger divisions will have Panthers in the Central division, not Atlantic. So, evidently, all the maps are wrong and South Florida is in fact not on the Atlantic seaboard!
• The Chicago Blackhawks were 21-0-3 with a point in every game entering Friday night, a streak as remarkable as the Heats. Dear Chicago: Could you spare a few points for the poor Panthers, please?
• The Minnesota Timberwolves mocked the Heats Harlem Shake video, and Twolves guard J.J. Barea admonished Ray Allen to quit crying. Always so cute when the gnat picks a fight with the elephant!
• The UM baseball team started 10-0 before finally losing. Cannot confirm the 72 Dolphins busted out the champagne.
• Kicker Lauren Silberman, 28, became the first woman to participate in an officially sanctioned NFL tryout, badly muffing two kickoffs, then quitting with a supposed injury. The NFL and women worldwide have agreed to pretend it never happened.
• Bacardi Miami Sailing Week has been going on. Event organizers tried something different this year, draining Biscayne Bay and filling it with rum.