Miami Dolphins

Miami Dolphins, Brian Hartline agree to five-year deal

 

abeasley@miamiherald.com

Brian Hartline said all along he wanted to stay in Miami.

He and the Dolphins made that a reality late Thursday night. The two sides agreed to a five-year, $30.8 million contract that will pay him $12.5 million in guaranteed money, according to a source familiar with the negotiation.

“So happy and blessed to be here in Miami,” Hartline texted The Miami Herald just after midnight. “Now let’s go win some championships.”

Said Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland: “Brian is an ascending player that has steadily improved over his first four years with the organization. He has represented himself positively both on the field and throughout the South Florida community.”

For Hartline, it was the end of a months-long back and forth, during which he maintained all along he wanted to remain with the team that drafted him four years ago.

Hartline had a career year in his contract year, catching 74 passes for 1,083 yards as Ryan Tannehill’s No. 1 target. The 26-year-old who played his collegiate ball at Ohio State would have been free to speak to all 32 teams had the negotiations dragged on another 24 hours.

The deal caps a remarkable nine months for Hartline, who last summer thought he might never play again after complications from an emergency appendectomy left him bedridden.

Instead, he’s now the highest-paid receiver on the Dolphins – at least for now. His deal should not affect the team’s expected run at Mike Wallace, the most coveted wideout on the free agent market.

The structure of the deal was not immediately known, but the Dolphins had more than $35 million in salary cap space before it was reached. The club still has 10 unrestricted free agents – including Jake Long, Reggie Bush and Sean Smith – who will all hit the open market Tuesday if a deal is not reached.

Read more Top Sports Stories stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Miami Marlins manager Mike Redmond reacts furiously after the safe call at the plate by the umpire in the eight inning during their game against the Cincinnati Reds at Marlins Park in Miami on July 31, 2014.

    Reds 3, Marlins 1

    Miami Marlins left raging after replay review helps Cincinnati Reds to victory

    The Marlins lost to the Reds after a play at the plate, in which Cincinnati’s Zack Cozart was thrown out at the plate, was reversed.

  •  
Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice answers question during a news conference after NFL football training camp practice in Owings Mills, Md. on July 31, 2014.

    In My Opinion | David J. Neal

    David J. Neal: NFL fumbled on Ray Rice punishment, then tried to justify it

    Baltimore Ravins running back Ray Rice spoke publicly Thursday for the first time since security camera video and NFL discipline transformed him into the latest domestic violence national talking point. Rice occasionally came off as self-centered. He also indulged in some self-victimization. Generally, however, he seemed seriously ashamed of the actions toward his wife in February that got him charged with felony aggravated assault.

  •  
Joey Grosso was added to the UM football 105-man roster Tuesday and died Wednesday while scuba diving during lobster miniseason.

    UM FOOTBALL

    Man who died scuba diving was added to Miami Hurricanes roster a day earlier

    Joey Grosso, the 22-year-old Lighthouse Point resident and former Penn linebacker who died Wednesday while scuba diving on the first day of lobster mini-season, had been added to the 105-man Miami Hurricanes football roster Tuesday, UM confirmed Thursday.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category