State Department withdraws honor for Egyptian activist over anti-American, anti-Semitic tweets

 

McClatchy Newspapers

The State Department on Thursday backed off its decision to honor a young woman for her bravery in the Egyptian uprising after it emerged that she’d quoted Adolf Hitler on Jews, celebrated a suicide bombing and posted anti-American commentary on her Twitter account.

State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told reporters that officials would defer the presentation of a Secretary of State’s International Women of Courage Award to Samira Ibrahim, 26, who faced death threats after taking on Egypt’s powerful generals in court over the forced “virginity tests” of 17 women protesters who were detained in March 2011.

Ibrahim was to have joined nine other honorees Friday for a ceremony presided over by Secretary of State John Kerry and first lady Michelle Obama. She already had been flown to the United States at government expense for the event.

Nuland said the department became aware of Ibrahim’s dubious comments “very late in the process” and defended the reasons Ibrahim was originally included as a recipient.

“As you may recall, she was detained, she was subject to real police violence. Not only did she speak out about that, but she also became a real leader in her country in trying to address gender-based violence and other human rights abuses,” Nuland said. “So it was on that basis that she was initially selected, but obviously, these comments need to be looked into and we need some time.”

The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum alerted the State Department to Ibrahim’s tweets on Tuesday, according to a report on the website of The Atlantic by Jeffrey Goldberg. The focus is on a handful of more than 18,000 postings on Ibrahim’s account.

Among the tweets was one posted this past Sept. 11 that was soon deleted: “Today is the anniversary of 9/11. May every year come with America burning.”

On Aug. 4, she wrote that the Saudi royal family was “dirtier than the Jews,” and then a couple of weeks later quoted Hitler: “I have discovered with the passage of days, that no act contrary to morality, no crime against society, takes place except with the Jews having a hand in it.”

On July 18, Ibrahim referenced a suicide bombing in Bulgaria that killed five Israeli tourists and a local bus driver, calling it “a very sweet day with a lot of very sweet news.”

Nuland said that Ibrahim had denied making the comments, explaining that her account had been hacked, but that the State Department was still looking into the allegations and wouldn’t be including Ibrahim at the event. Instead, she’ll be returned to Egypt.

“My account has been stolen more than once and any tweet on racism and hatred is not me,” Ibrahim tweeted once the controversy became public.

The case became a topic of debate among Egyptians on Twitter and other social-networking sites because it dredges up the complicated relationship between the protest movement that brought down President Hosni Mubarak and the U.S. government, which propped him up for decades with military and other assistance. And it also revives debate over how to protest Israeli policies toward Palestinians without using anti-Semitic rhetoric.

Some Egyptians sprang to her defense, noting her extreme bravery in challenging the once untouchable military. Many others, however, argued that her offensive comments reflect poorly on the young Egyptians who were at the vanguard of what began as a revolt demanding justice and equality.

“The Samira Ibrahim story isn’t that complicated: her actions against (the military council) were super brave and she’s a bigot with objectionable views,” tweeted Michael Hanna, an Egypt expert at the Century Foundation research institute in New York.

Others questioned how the State Department could’ve made such an embarrassing gaffe, when regular followers of Ibrahim’s Twitter account say her occasional flashes of militancy had long raised eyebrows among her Egyptian followers.

Nancy Messieh, associate director of the Atlantic Council’s Rafik Hariri Center for the Middle East, said in a phone interview that she remembered seeing Ibrahim’s tweet about the Sept. 11 attacks and was “taken aback,” especially because she’d admired Ibrahim for her courageous stance against the generals. She said other Egyptians on Twitter had openly criticized Ibrahim at the time.

When Messieh later heard about the State Department award, she said, the most surprising part to her was that Ibrahim had accepted it, given the activist’s strident views on U.S. policies.

“Maybe the Americans would prefer to associate these views with the more Islamist side – the Salafis – but anyone who’s familiar with the young revolutionary socialist activists knows that they have these views, too,” Messieh said. “If the U.S. isn’t familiar with that, it’s definitely naivete.”

Nuland, the State Department spokeswoman, said the Women of Courage honorees are nominated by local embassies and reviewed in Washington. She didn’t have an answer for how Ibrahim’s apparent militant streak was missed in the vetting process.

“She has tens of thousands of tweets. So these represent a small portion of those, so obviously, we’re doing forensics internally on how we didn’t catch it the first time,” Nuland said.

Email: hallam@mcclatchydc.com; Twitter: @HannahAllam

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
A weeping relative of a missing passenger aboard the sunken ferry Sewol struggles with a policeman as he tries to march toward the presidential house to protest the government's rescue operation at a port in Jindo, South Korea, Sunday, April 20, 2014. Divers recovered more bodies from inside the ferry that sank off South Korea, pushing the confirmed death toll to over three dozen. The discovery came after rescuers finally gained access to the inside of the ship following three days of failure and frustration caused by strong currents and bad visibility due to inclement weather.

    Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry

    The confirmed death toll from South Korea's ferry disaster rose past 50 on Sunday as divers finally found a way inside the sunken vessel, quickly discovering more than a dozen bodies in what almost certainly is just the beginning of a massive and grim recovery effort.

  •  
FILE - This March 19, 2013 file photo provided on Friday, June 7, 2013 by Haytham Pictures shows French photojournalist, Edouard Elias posing for a portrait in Yangon, Myanmar. President Francois Hollande's office said in a statement Saturday April 19, 2014 he feels "immense relief" after learning Saturday of the release of Edouard Elias, Didier Francois, Nicolas Henin and Pierre Torres _ all said to be in good health despite "very trying conditions" of their captivity.

    4 French journalists abducted in Syria freed, safe

    Ten months after their capture in Syria, four French journalists crossed the border into neighboring Turkey and reached freedom Saturday, though dozens more remain held in the country's chaotic civil war.

  •  
FILE - In this Dec. 26, 2012 file photo, Japan's minister in charge of North Korea's past abductions of Japanese nationals Keiji Furuya arrives at the prime minister's official residence in Tokyo. Furuya visited a Tokyo shrine that honors the dead including war criminals in what has repeatedly caused friction with Japan's neighbors. The lawmaker, who chairs the National Public Safety Commission, said on his website that he paid respects Sunday morning, April 20, 2014, at the Yasukuni shrine ahead of a festival that starts Monday.

    Japan minister at shrine honoring war criminals

    A Japanese Cabinet minister on Sunday visited a Tokyo shrine that honors the dead including war criminals, in what has repeatedly caused friction with Japan's neighbors.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category