The embattled former police chief of Miami-Dade Schools resigned quietly last month – so quietly district officials say they weren’t sure he’d actually quit.
Following a reassignment to desk duty, and then a January demotion amid federal and internal investigations into allegations that he sexually harassed at least two female subordinates, former chief Charles Hurley resigned Feb. 8. Exactly one week later, school district spokesman John Schuster said Hurley was still employed.
A district log of employee position changes released Tuesday, however, shows Hurley did indeed resign in early February for “personal” reasons.
On Wednesday, Schuster said there was confusion until late February regarding Hurley’s employment status because his attorney first indicated the former chief was resigning. The district, Schuster said, had requested a personal, signed letter from Hurley to confirm his resignation and hadn’t received one as of Feb. 15.
That letter was not available Wednesday. The district has not yet responded to a request for a copy of the sexual harassment investigation.
Hurley declined to comment Thursday morning through his attorney, Ben Esco, except to say that he denies all allegations in the sexual harassment lawsuits.