CRUISE INDUSTRY

More lawsuits filed over Carnival Triumph ordeal

 

hsampson@MiamiHerald.com

Less than a week since passengers left the ill-fated Carnival Triumph, the lawsuits are already piling up against Miami-based Carnival Cruise Lines.

The latest was filed Wednesday in Galveston by the Mississippi law firm of John Arthur Eaves, which is also representing 80 passengers and family members affected by the Costa Concordia shipwreck last year.

Earlier this week, a Miami law firm filed a proposed class-action suit in federal court in Miami, following two other complaints filed here over the weekend and late last week.

They all stand about the same chance of success, said one South Florida law professor.

“Zero, zilch, zip, nada, not happening, not in this lifetime,” said Bob Jarvis, who teaches maritime law at Nova Southeastern University. “Maritime law is very much on the side of the ship owner.”

Carnival had no comment on the lawsuits.

The ship left Galveston Feb. 7 with 4,229 people on board for a four-night cruise, but that trip was interrupted by an engine room fire while it sailed off Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula early the morning of Feb. 10.

Automatic suppression systems put out the blaze and no one was hurt, but damage knocked out the ship’s propulsion and forced it to run on emergency backup power. Passengers complained of long waits for food, no hot water and broken toilets that led to unsanitary conditions.

The cruise line confirmed a report in Seatrade Insider Wednesday that a boat chartered to carry 11 technical and guest service employees to the ship during the ordeal never made it.

“Between the sea conditions and the pace at which the Carnival Triumph was rapidly drifting north, the smaller vessel ultimately had to return to shore based on fuel concerns,” Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz said in an email. “The purpose was to lend additional support to the shipboard team but unfortunately the group was not able to reach the ship.”

With the help of tugs, the Triumph arrived in Mobile, Ala. late Feb. 14.

The proposed class action suit, filed by Miami maritime law firm Lipcon, Margulies, Alsina & Winkleman, alleges that Carnival should have known that the ship was likely to have problems because of prior propulsion issues — problems Carnival has said were unrelated. The suit also claims that Carnival had the ship towed to Mobile instead of a closer port in Mexico because it was cheaper and more convenient.

“Carnival recklessly and intentionally put more than 3,000 passengers through a five-day living nightmare so it could protect its bottom line,” the suit says.

Carnival has said the decision to tow the Triumph to Alabama, where it remains, came after the ship drifted north in strong currents while awaiting tugboats.

While the proposed class-action suit alleges that passengers suffered severe suffering, emotional distress and risk of physical harm, Jarvis said that a court would likely decide that guests were only due what they paid for the ruined trip.

“And Carnival has already done that,” he said.

The company said it would give all 3,143 passengers a full refund for the cruise and transportation expenses as well as a credit for a future cruise and an additional $500.

Said Jarvis: “These people have no hope and it’s just a lawyer feeding frenzy.”

Read more Breaking News stories from the Miami Herald

  • CUBA

    Exile activist arrested in alleged fraud

    Antonio “Tony” Calatayud, a well known Cuban exile activist and radio commentator, has been arrested on a complaint that he defrauded five South Florida people out of more than $1 million with promises of cheap purchases of distressed real estate properties.

  • FAA tells US airlines not to fly to Tel Aviv

    The Federal Aviation Administration told U.S. airlines Tuesday they are prohibited from flying to the Tel Aviv airport in Israel for 24 hours following a Hamas rocket explosion nearby.

  •  
A completed trolley depot sits unused in the West Grove.

    Coral Gables weighing trolley-depot dispute settlement

    The Coral Gables City Commission is considering a settlement Tuesday to a longstanding dispute over a city trolley garage built in a historically black neighborhood in Coconut Grove without consulting neighbors.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category