Venezuela’s Hugo Chávez makes surprise trip home

 

Miami Herald

Venezuelans began gathering around the military hospital in Caracas early Monday to welcome home President Hugo Chávez, the cancer-stricken leader who has spent more than two months incommunicado in a Cuban hospital.

Chávez’s pre-dawn return came as a surprise in a country that has largely been kept in the dark about his condition. In a Twitter message at 3:42 am EST, Chávez said he was back in the country and would continue his treatment in Venezuela.

“We’ve returned to Venezuela,” he wrote. “Thank you my God!! Thank you beloved nation!! We’ll continue our treatment here.”

As the news spread, fireworks went off over the capital and crowds began to gather at the hospital and public squares.

Fanny Batista, 67, was one of the people who joined the crowds at the military hospital.

“We’ve been sad for months, hoping for his return,” she said. “Now we know his condition has improved. My heart is filled with so much joy my chest can barely contain it.”

On Friday, the government released four photographs of Chávez laying in a hospital bed. They also reported that a tracheal tube, needed to assist breathing, was making it difficult for him to speak. The images were the first to surface since Chávez, 58, traveled to Cuba Dec. 10 to undergo a fourth round of cancer surgery.

His return is likely to revive speculation about who should be leading the oil-rich nation. After winning an additional six-year term in October, Chávez missed his scheduled Jan. 10 inauguration. The administration has maintained that ceremony would take place once Chávez was back in the country. But if he were to resign or die, it would trigger new elections within 30 days.

The administration’s likely chief rival in a future election, Miranda Gov. Henrique Capriles, welcomed Chávez back and asked him to reverse the administration’s raft of economic measures, which have included a 46.5 percent devaluation earlier this month.

“I hope his return brings some sense to the government,” Capriles wrote on Twitter. “Let’s hope his return is permanent.”

As the news spread, a few hundred well-wishers also gathered in Plaza Venezuela, one of the city’s iconic squares.

“I can finally breathe because now we know he’s alive,’’ said Gregorio Chettick a 45-year-old chef. “For the last two months everything has been uncertain. There have been so many rumors; we didn’t know if he was already dead or if the country was going to break into a civil war.’’

Chávez has been battling cancer since at least June 2011. But the administration has never said what type of cancer he has or what organs may be affected, only saying that it is located in his pelvic region.

He has undergone at least four surgeries, and a round of chemotherapy and radiation.

This last round of treatments, which began with surgery Dec. 11, has been plagued by problems including internal bleeding and a respiratory infection, which led to the tracheotomy.

Vice President Nicolás Maduro also has said that Chávez is undergoing unspecified “complementary treatments.”

In the past, Chávez’s medical trips have been high-profile and shown on national television. This time the administration did not say how he was transported from the airport to the military hospital.

“It’s shameful that he arrived like he was a contraband package,” Diego Arria, an opposition politician told Noticias24 radio. “Nobody knows how he arrived; it’s as if he were merchandise.”

In a letter from Fidel Castro released by the Venezuelan government, the former Cuban president said the secrecy surrounding the treatment was needed “so as not to give an opportunity to the fascist groups to plan any of their cynical actions against the Bolivarian revolutionary process.”

In the letter, Castro also thanks Venezuela for its economic support over the years.

“When the socialist camp collapsed and the [Soviet Union] disintegrated, imperialism with its sharpened knife tried to drown the Cuban Revolution in blood; Venezuela, a relatively small country in divided America, was capable of preventing that,” Castro wrote. “That is why all honest people of the world have followed closely the health and news of Chavez.”

In his final Twitter message of the morning, Chávez said he had faith in his medical team and in Christ.

“We will live and we will win,’’ he wrote.

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
FILE --  In this Saturday, Jan. 15, 2011 file photo, a part of Arak heavy water nuclear facilities is seen, near the central city of Arak, 150 miles (250 kilometers) southwest of the capital Tehran, Iran. Iranian state television reported on Saturday, April, 19, 2014 that Vice President Ali Akbar Salehi has said a dispute between world powers and the country over its heavy water reactor at Arak has been “virtually resolved.” Iran and world powers are negotiating the terms of a permanent deal over its contested nuclear program.

    Report: Next Iran nuclear talks to be in New York

    Iran's state news agency is reporting that the next round of expert-level talks over its contested nuclear program will be held in New York.

  •  
South Korean Coast Guard police officers on a boat check the bodies of passengers believed to have been trapped in the sunken ferry Sewol in the water off the southern coast near Jindo, south of Seoul, South Korea, Sunday, April 20, 2014. After more than three days of frustration and failure, divers on Sunday finally found a way into the submerged ferry off South Korea's southern shore, discovering more than a dozen bodies inside the ship and pushing the confirmed death toll to over four dozen, officials said.

    Transcript of SKorea ship sinking: 'We can't move'

    The following is a portion of the transcript released Sunday by the South Korean coast guard of the conversation between the ferry that sank Wednesday and the Jindo Vessel Traffic Services Center (VTS) on Jindo island. The ferry Sewol issued its distress call to another VTS center before these communications began. The Associated Press translated the transcript from Korean. The names of other ships included in the transcript are omitted at the request of South Korean authorities.

  • Abdullah still ahead in new Afghan vote results

    New partial results in Afghanistan's presidential election released Sunday show candidate Abdullah Abdullah is still the front-runner, though a runoff election looks likely.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category