For many sweethearts, Valentine’s Day and chocolate are inseparable. For those who truly want to indulge their Valentine with chocolate, Travelzoo recommends these chocolate-y escapes.
• Madrid, Spain: Spain’s capital city is famous for its chocolaterias, which serve fresh churros with a generous side of thick hot chocolate to dip them in.
• Vancouver, Canada: Vancouver’s Sutton Place Hotel offers a Chocoholic Buffet at its Fleuri Restaurant. Skip dinner to save room for a feast of cakes, pies, cookies, pastries, ice cream and crepes, with two seatings every Thursday-Saturday night.
• Burlington, Wis.: Every Memorial Day weekend, this quiet, southern Wisconsin town hosts ChocolateFest. In addition to eating chocolate, attendees can watch chef demonstrations, witness a candy wrapper fashion show and partake in chocolate-themed games.
• San Francisco: Only San Francisco has a square named after a brand of chocolate. Transformed from the old Ghirardelli factory, Ghirardelli Square is home to shops, restaurants, live entertainment and, most importantly, the flagship Ice Cream and Chocolate Shop.
• Oaxaca, Mexico: Oaxaca City is known its hot chocolate and its mole negro, which includes chocolate, chili peppers, onions, garlic and the hoja santa plant. Follow your nose to Mina Street, which is full of chocolate shops crafting their wares on-site.