Courts

FPL’s parent company sues former exec who sent critical letter

 

NextEra Energy says a former vice president, Jeff Bartel, falsely accused other officers of fraud and other improprieties, and wants the former exec to return his severance package. But Bartel is standing by his criticism of the company.

ejester@MiamiHerald.com

Florida Power & Light’s parent company is suing a former top executive, who had anonymously accused company officials of fraud, for the amount of his severance package.

In 2010 and 2011, NextEra Energy received several anonymous letters claiming top officers had committed fraud and other improprieties, NextEra president and CEO Jim Robo wrote company officers in a letter dated Tuesday.

Multiple investigations, including one by an outside law firm, found all of the claims to be false, Robo wrote. The fourth letter, sent from a Kinko’s store on Dec. 8, 2011, accused NextEra’s senior officers of fraudulent and illegal conduct, according to the lawsuit. The company discovered the letter had been sent by Jeffrey Bartel, a former FPL vice president for compliance and corporate Responsibility. Robo’s letter said Bartel admitted to an arbitration board that he had written the letter. The lawsuit said the letter went to several news organizations as well.

The company restructured in 2011, and managers decided to let Bartel go and offered him a severance package. In exchange, the lawsuit filed in Miami said, Bartel was supposed to disclose in writing any concerns he had about NextEra not complying with laws or rules.

Bartel did not disclose anything, although he later said he had information that should’ve been disclosed but was told by NextEra he didn’t have to, according to the lawsuit. The company denied telling Bartel to ignore that part of the severance arrangement.

NextEra had paid Bartel more than $846,000 in severance by the time the company discovered he’d sent one of the anonymous letters. The balance of his severance package was placed in escrow.

Bartel’s lawyer, Ervin Gonzalez, said in a statement Tuesday that his client admitted sending the fourth anonymous letter. But he said Bartel, who lives in Coral Gables, stands by his claims of wrongdoing at FPL, adding that Bartel refused to give the names of other employees who sent disparaging letters.

“FPL offered to not pursue legal proceedings and allow Mr. Bartel to keep his severance provided that Mr. Bartel provide the names of anonymous employees who had also publicly complained of FPL’s bad acts in prior complaint or whistleblower letters that were unattributed,” Gonzalez said in his statement. “Mr. Bartel refused to take part in that.”

“The company is once again prioritizing looking good over doing good,” Gonzalez added.

NextEra’s lawsuit says Bartel breached a non-disparagement clause in his severance agreement and misrepresented himself to induce the company to offer him a severance agreement. Under the terms of the lawsuit, NextEra is demanding that Bartel lose his severance package and be forced to return the money he has already collected.

But Bartel’s lawyer said his client plans to give the severance money back anyway so he can be free from the gag order in the separation agreement.

Read more Breaking News stories from the Miami Herald

  • Federal court upholds Fla.'s docs vs. glocks law

    A Florida law restricting what doctors can tell patients about gun ownership was deemed to be constitutional Friday by a federal appeals court, which said it legitimately regulates professional conduct and doesn't violate the doctors' First Amendment free speech rights.

  •  
A workman quickly slides a dustmop over the floor at the Central Intelligence Agency headquarters in Langley, Va., near Washington, in this March 3, 2005 file photo. About a dozen former CIA officials named in a classified Senate report on decade-old agency interrogation practices were notified in recent days that they would be able to review parts of the document in a secure room in suburban Washington after signing a secrecy agreement. Then, on Friday, July 25, 2014 many were told they would not be able to see it, after all.

    Some in 'torture' report denied chance to read it

    About a dozen former CIA officials named in a classified Senate report on decade-old agency interrogation practices were notified in recent days that they would be able to review parts of the document in a secure room in suburban Washington after signing a secrecy agreement.

  •  
A sign stands at 1448 NW 103rd St. in Miami to let passers-by know the government demolished the house even though the owner was on active military duty.

    Miami-Dade County

    Miami-Dade demolished active-duty soldier’s home

    A federal judge ruled last week that the county should have delayed building-code violation proceedings against the soldier when he asked for a stay while he was in Iraq.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category