Today, Sant La, Haitian Neighborhood Center, launched its 10th year of free tax preparation service to the community as one of Miami-Dade County's top VITA sites. VITA is a network of Internal Revenue Service(IRS)partners, known as Volunteers Income Tax Assistance sites, that offer free tax help to low and moderate-income people (generally earning $49,000 and below), and cannot prepare their own tax returns. Sant La staff serve as the IRS certified volunteer preparers.
Gepsie Metellus, Sant La's Executive Director, explains that "since the inception of the program In 2003,Sant La has assisted more than 8,000 taxpayers and returned more than $10 million to the local community economy." The VITA site serves low-income individuals and families, including the elderly, the disabled, and members of other ethnic groups who reside in Miami-Dade County.
Sant La volunteers help clients understand and access popular credits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit, the Child Tax Credit, the American Opportunity Credit, and Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled. Sant La electronically files all returns (e-filing) and individuals taking advantage of the e-file service receive their refunds in half the time, when compared to paper-filed returns. Tax-payers can even receive their refunds as fast as in ten business days when deposited directly into a bank account.
Qualified individuals will need the following documents to prepare their tax return:
• Proof of identification
• Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a
• Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
• Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
• Birth dates for you, spouse and dependents listed on the tax return
• Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099)
• A copy of last year’s return, if available
• Bank routing numbers and account numbers for those who prefer Direct Deposit
• Total amount paid for daycare services and the daycare provider's tax identifying number
• To file taxes electronically on a “married-filing-jointly” tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
The free tax preparation service is available at Sant La offices, 5000 Biscayne Boulevard, on Monday to Thursday, between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m., from February 4 to April 15, 2013. The staff highly recommend calling for an appointment at (305) 573-4871. Alphonse Piard, Sant La’s
VITA Site Coordinator, proudly boasts that "our service is backed with 100% guarantee of quality and credibility. He adds, "our site is unique in that we are a Low Income Tax Payer Clinic, partially funded by the IRS Tax Advocate Service; this means that our clients have a built-in advantage of resolving all pending issues with the IRS, should the need arise."