3 lives intersect in tragedy on a South Beach street

With the night’s revelry over and the day’s buzz about to begin, three lives intersected on a South Beach street.

The sun was not yet up when a self-proclaimed “party princess” heading home, a respected hotel chef on his way to work and a local heading to the gym came together in tragedy.

When it was all over, the chef lay bleeding on the street near his hotel, fatally struck by a passing car. The witness would call 911 and help cops find a suspect. And the young driver, not yet 21, would soon be arrested.

Stefano Riccioletti, 49, a chef at the Shore Club, died on Collins Avenue. And the lives of suspect Karlie Tomica and witness Jairo Fuentes will never be the same.


Stefano Riccioletti was the executive chef at Terrazza at Shore Club. He was recently separated from Patrizia Pesce and is a father of three; his son, Jacopo, 18, lives in Italy, and his daughter Camilla, 12, and son Filippo, 8, live in the Miami area.

Before coming to Terrazza, Riccioletti worked for years in New York at renowned restaurants including San Domenico on Central Park South, Cipriani at Rockefeller Center and Vento in the Meatpacking District. He was born and raised in Rome.

“He was so passionate, kind, a culinary genius. And one of the kindest, most intense people you ever met,” said Tim Nardi, Riccioletti’s friend and former general manager of the Shore Club.

Nardi, who hired Riccioletti about three years ago, bringing him from New York City to Miami Beach, said the executive chef was “one of those people who really inspired you.”

“He was always the guy shaking hands with anybody who experienced his cuisine, asking if they were having fun,” Nardi said. “Hospitality was part of his heart.”

Riccioletti’s sister-in-law Eliana Pesce described him as “a bundle of energy type of person.”

“He was very positive. He loved his job,” she said. “He would work 12 hours in the restaurant and come home all happy and jolly.”

Pesce said the chef enjoyed running and put the same effort into exercise that he put into his work. At times, he would work an 18-hour day, then run 20 miles right afterward. He ran several marathons in and around New York.

Although he originally envisioned himself staying and working in New York, when he received an offer to come to Miami Beach, he changed his mind.

“He started really liking the idea of being where the weather is warmer, and there’s more outdoor activity and the chance to slow down a little bit,” Pesce said. “He really enjoyed the atmosphere and the people … after work, hanging out with his colleagues by the pool … Last time I saw him, he had no plans to go back to New York any time soon.”


Karlie Tomica was arrested near her apartment about four miles north of the tragedy. She was taken to Miami-Dade Jail and was released at the end of the day on $10,000 bond. Then she ran. She ran away from waiting reporters. And she still seems to be running — away from her life. Her once-prolific posts on Facebook and Twitter about her South Beach style have been wiped clean.

Tomica, 20, graduated in 2010 from a high school in a quieter part of Florida, Treasure Coast High in Port St. Lucie. She enrolled at Florida International University, where she was a student from June 2010 to December 2011.

It appears that her life since then has been South Beach-focused.

In her Twitter bio, she had described herself as a “Party Princess Miami beach. Livin the dream.”

She has tweeted several times recently about drinking alcohol, including one post on “Margaritas & spinach dip to celebrate the end of midterms” on Jan. 17.

One of her plans: to go to the Ultra music fest in downtown Miami.

Now, she has been reduced to a sad-faced young woman in a teary, pouting jail mug shot. She is charged with leaving the scene of a fatal accident. Toxicology test results await. Her lawyer and her family couldn’t be reached.


When Jairo Fuentes witnessed a hit-and-run on his way to a Miami Beach gym early Monday morning, he followed his “natural instinct.”

He was driving north on Collins Avenue at about 6 a.m. when a man crossing the street was struck by a vehicle and, as Fuentes describes it, sent flying through the air from the impact.

“I was in shock,” when he saw what had happened, Fuentes says. “I was screaming when I saw him fall on the floor, and I guess I was very angry too that [the driver] didn’t stop.”

Fuentes, 47, dialed 911 and followed the driver until he caught up with her north of the Fontainebleau Miami Beach hotel. The passenger window of the car was broken. She had tried to lose Fuentes several times, pretending to go left at one point and doing U-turns on Collins Avenue. He yelled to her many times that she should stop. Her erratic driving and swerving led him to believe she had been drinking.

When she eventually got out of the car, Fuentes says she was wearing a bright orange dress, and she refused to speak to him. Blood covered the side of the car. Police arrived minutes later.

He couldn’t get the vision of the dead man out of his mind.

“I started thinking, ‘This must have been somebody’s father, somebody’s husband,’” Fuentes said. “When I saw the guy, he looked like someone who was just trying to go to work.”

He was right on all counts.

Read more Top Stories stories from the Miami Herald

Dozens of boaters are anchored off Key Biscayne on Sunday, May 25, 2014, atop an area in the bay known as the Mashta Flats. Federal and local agencies will target boaters under the influence to keep South Florida waters safe after a deadly crash on the Fourth of July.

    Cops join forces to crack down on drunken boating during Labor Day weekend

    Federal and local agencies will target boaters under the influence to keep South Florida waters safe after a deadly crash on the Fourth of July.

Miami-Dade union members filled the county commission chambers earlier this year.

    Miami-Dade County

    Miami-Dade reaches tentative contract deals with 2 more labor unions

    Two more unions reached tentative labor-contract deals Wednesday with Miami-Dade County, Mayor Carlos Gimenez’s administration said.

A large Goliath grouper nestled into the Bonaire shipwreck off Jupiter.


    Outdoors feature: Goliath groupers make recovery but harvest remains on hold

    Dropping into the roiled, murky waters 60 feet deep off Jupiter Inlet on Monday, I heard the annual spawning aggregation of Goliath groupers before I actually saw it. Below me, I could barely make out the wreck of the MG 111 or the mottled, gentle giants that show up each year between late July and mid-October to keep their species going. But the Goliaths already had seen our group of divers and weren’t too happy about our visit. They emitted loud, bass booming noises that sound a little like gun reports – probably to alert each other and to warn us not to get too cozy.

Miami Herald

Join the

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category