The Florida High School Athletic Association finalized its proposed district realignment for the next two football seasons Friday.
After a month-long appeals process, only a few changes were made to the original proposed breakdown.
As originally slated, defending state champions Miami Booker T. Washington and Fort Lauderdale University School will play in Class 4A.
Defending Class 6A state champion Miami Central, however, will remain in that classification after originally being placed in Class 7A — a move that could have put it on a collision course with defending 7A champ Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas.
Central will be part of a new seven-team District 16-6A that includes Miami Northwestern, Miami Carol City, Miami Norland, Homestead, Miami Belen Jesuit and Hialeah-Miami Lakes.
Hallandale and Southwest Ranches Archbishop McCarthy will move to District 15-6A, an eight-team group that also includes Fort Lauderdale Dillard, Pembroke Pines Charter, Fort Lauderdale Stranahan, Coconut Creek, Boynton Beach and Riviera Beach Suncoast.
North Miami Beach, Reagan/Doral, Miami Beach, South Miami, Southridge Miami and Miami Sunset will all be playing in Class 8A.
11-8A: Coral Springs, Coral Glades, Deerfield Beach, Douglas, Monarch, Piper, South Plantation, Taravella; 12-8A: Cooper City, Cypress Bay, Everglades, Flanagan, McArthur, Miramar, Western. 13-8A: Dr. Krop, Hialeah, Hialeah Gardens, North Miami, North Miami Beach, Reagan; 14-8A: Columbus, Coral Gables, Miami High, Miami Beach, Coral Park, South Miami; 15-8A: Braddock, Ferguson, Sunset, Southwest, Varela; 16-8A: Coral Reef, Killian, Palmetto, Southridge, South Dade.
14-7A: Boyd Anderson, Fort Lauderdale, Northeast; 15-7A: Hollywood Hills, Nova, Plantation, South Broward, St. Thomas Aquinas; 16-7A: American, Mater Academy, Miami Springs, Westland Hialeah.
15-6A: Archbishop McCarthy, Boynton Beach, Coconut Creek, Dillard, Hallandale, Pines Charter, Stranahan, Suncoast; 16-6A: Belen Jesuit, Hialeah Miami Lakes, Homestead, Carol City, Central, Norland, Northwestern.
15-5A: Plantation American Heritage, Cardinal Gibbons, Key West, Jackson, Pompano Beach.
7-4A: Belle Glade Glades Central, Riviera Beach Inlet Grove, North Broward Prep, Somerset Academy, University School; 8-4A: Gulliver Prep, Edison, Monsignor Pace, Booker T. Washington.
8-3A: Archbishop Carroll, Chaminade-Madonna, Westminster Christian.
8-2A: Barrington Christian, Champagnat Catholic, Coral Springs Christian, Dade Christian, Highlands Christian.
Independents: Archbishop Curley, Blanche Ely, Calvary Christian, Coral Shores, Coral Springs Charter, Doral Academy, Florida Christian, Goleman, Hillel, Immaculata-La Salle, Keys Gate Charter, Marathon, Miami Country Day, Mourning, Northwest Christian, Palmer Trinity, Pine Crest, Princeton Christian, Ransom Everglades, South Florida HEAT, West Broward, Westminster Academy, Zion Lutheran.
• District 16-5A final — Coral Reef 1, South Dade 1 (2OT CR wins by PK 4-3): Sophomore goalkeeper Diego Gaitan made a valiant effort stopping two penalty kicks as Coral Reef won the district final at Tropical Park on Friday.
The score was 1-1 and it all came down to penalty kicks after going through a scoreless double overtime.
Miles Whiting scored for Coral Reef, and Humberto Blanco scored for South Dade.
Despite South Dade controlling the momentum the first half, it came down Gaitan. He blocked South Dade’s first and last kicks that gave the Barracudas the chance they needed to win.
The wining penalty kicks came from Austin Ruel, Kyle Cividanes, JeanPaul Lopez and Miles Whiting.
The Barracudas will face Coral Gables in the regional quarterfinals.
COREY W. CAMPBELL
District 16-2A final — Ransom Everglades 0, Gulliver 0 (RE wins 4-3 in PKs): Ransom’s two regular-season losses came at against Gulliver, but host Ransom finally got its revenge in the District 16-2A final.
After two scoreless overtimes, Ransom won 4-3 in penalty kicks.
Already down by the decisive margin, Gulliver’s Alexander Moztarzadeh had his penalty-kick attempt ricochet off the left post to seal his team’s fate. Matt Lirman, Fran Carrera-Justiz, Jeremy Peters and David Goldstein converted penalty kicks for Ransom.
“In PKs, they’re ice. They do so well,” Ransom coach David Villanova said. “It’s a mental game, and we preach to them in penalty kicks it’s about 80 percent mental, 20 percent technical.”
• Region 4-4A semifinal — Miami Springs 1, Mater Academy 0:
Taking on Mater Academy in a Region 4-4A semifinal at Traz Powell Stadium, a team it watched celebrate on the same field one week earlier following a district championship victory, Miami Springs came up big when it counted most.
A breakaway one-on-one goal by senior Ale Salazar in the game’s 26th minute stood up as the Golden Hawks prevailed 1-0 and now advance to their eighth regional final in the past nine years. Springs will head north on Tuesday to take on either Stuart South Fork or Melbourne, which play Saturday night in Stuart in the regional final.
“Our girls definitely came out with a lot more aggression tonight having lost to them last week, and it showed up right away,” said Springs coach William Drew, whose team improved to 17-5-4. “We did a really nice job of passing from point to point and not trying to go over them, which is the mistake we made last week..”
In the game’s 26th minute, Springs’ Sophia De la Puente knifed a perfect ball down the middle, and Salazar split the defense creating a one-on-one with Mater goalkeeper Julia Sanchez and scored.
“Sophie and I have played together for a long time. We read each other’s eyes well, and I read her eyes when she sent me the pass,” Salazar said. “Once the ball got through, it was just a matter of getting the keeper to commit and then nailing it.”
• Westwood Christian 86, MAST Academy 56 - WC (18-4): Shoon 10, Conceicao 22, Molina 13, J Molina 13, Mortensen 6, Diaz 2, Chiriboga 5, Ramis 15. Rebounds: Conceicao 20. Assists: Ramis 7. Steals: Ramis 5. Blocks: Conceicao 6
• Miami Christian 55, Calusa Prep 51 - MC (12-7): Ramirez 1, Hicks 3, Penate, DJ 1, Campos 18, Borgelin, Shamyr 17, Borgelin, Shamarly 9, Penate, E 1, Beckelheimer 1, Rosario 4. CP: Desmor 6, Bowes 20, Alexander 10, Muller 2, Vargas 2, Leonard 2, Uyaelumno 7, Carter 2. Halftime: MC 31-26. Rebounds: Boergelin 12. Assist: Beckelheimer 4. Steals: Ramirez 3
• South Miami 57, Southwest 28 - SM: Perez-Laham 16, Lopez 18, Simmons 11, Cratit 4, Bartley 4, LoBue 3, Barney 1. SW: Knowles 2, Diaz 4, Noda 2, Garcia 3, Davidson 9, Martinez 8. Rebounds: Lopez 18. Assists: Perez-Laham 6. Steals: Perez-Laham 5
• Westminster Christian 61, Palmer Trinity 17 - WC: McLean 15, J. Raine 3, M. Raine 6, Maldonado 9, Brown 9, Miller 13, Cutillas 2, Anno 2. PT: Chao 2, Pico 3, Bonet 9, Marley-Minto 2, Becker 1. Halftime: WC 40-9. Three-pointers: Maldonado 3, Brown. Rebounds: M. Raine 6. Assists: Miller 10
• Late Wednesday — Belen 59, Homestead 52 - BEL (13-11): Iparraguirre 5, Perez 6, Alvarez 15, Medina 7, Fernandez 5, Couto 6, Roca 2, Pujals 11, Ma Fernandez 2. HOM: Young 10, Herrigan 12, Mitchell 12, Janvier 1, Ferdinand 6, Hankins 11. Three-pointers: Fernandez, Iparraguirre, Medina, Alvarez, Couto, Young 2, Harrigan, Hankins. Rebounds: Medina 6. Assists: Iparraguirre 6. Steals: Roca 4, Iparraguirre 4
• Late Wednesday — North Miami 75, Edison 73 (2OT) - St-Fleur 29, Augustin 14, Cine 10. Rebounds: Fleurentine 10, St-Fleur 10. Assists: Brown 7
• Late Tuesday — St. Brendan 69, Ronald Reagan 61 - SB (9-12): Ruiz 5, Dominguez 19, Claro 2, E. Garcia 6, Harduval 13, G. Garcia 13, Moliver 11. RR: R. Ortega 5, Allrich 5, I. Ortega 8, Campos 4, Dacunha 32, Sarmiento 7. Halftime: SB 27-23. Rebounds: G Garcia 9. Assists: Ruiz 5. Steals: Dominguez 4
• Miami Country Day 49, American Heritage 46 - MCD (23-1): Mackenzie 5, Swaby 10, B. Blot 11, Lewis 11, Minott 4, L. Blot 5, Kotalik 3. AMH: Chisholm 1, R. Moncrief 29, Bradley 8, Osceola 2, Martinez 3, K. Moncrief 4. Halftime: MCD 24-21. Three-pointers: Mackenzie, Lewis, L. Blot, R. Moncrief. Rebounds: B. Blot 13. Assists: lewis 3, Minott 3. Steals: Mackenzie 3, Minott 3
• Palmer Trinity 60, Palmetto 21 - PT (21-4): Arriaga 2, James 11, Smith 13, Tagliero 2, Hebb 6, Granada 14, Parten 6, Baiamonte 2, Waldman 4. PAL: Calice 3, Bellinghieri 3, Bistrong 2, Elliot 6, Gross 5, Alford 2. Halftime: PT 37-9. Three pointers: James, Elliot, Gross. Rebounds: James 7, Waldman 7. Assists: Smith 3, Granada 3. Steals: Smith 3. Blocks: Waldman 5.
• Florida Christian 39, King’s Academy 33 - FC (18-7): Jimenez 26, K. Jim 5, Wright 2, Prinz 6, Saumell 2. KA (14-9): Urso 11, Burt 5, Jacobson 8, Brown 9. Halftime: FC 19-10. Three-pointers: Urso, Jimenez. Rebounds: Wright 10. Assists: Jimenez 6. Steals: Jimenez 10
• Late Thursday — Calvary Christian 60, Pine Crest 48 - CC (14-8): Isaac 5, Spring 11, Nevils 6, Pitts 8, Nazario 10, Ridenour 18, Pellingra 2. PC (5-14): Johnson 26, Rudnik 9, Landers 4, Mintz 9. Halftime: CC 27-24
• Late Tuesday — Miami Country Day 53, Sagemont 18 - MCD (22-0): Mackenzie 4, Swaby 4, B.Blot 9, Lewis 12, Minott 20, Kotalik 4. SAG: Cole 1, Black 8, Griffin 4, Correa 2, Marshall 3. Halftime: MCD 31-6. Three-pointers: B.Blot, Lewis 2, Minott, Black, Marshall. Rebounds: Minott 11. Assists: Lewis 6. Steals: Lewis 7
• Late Thursday — District 14-5A final — Miami Beach 2, Miami High 1: Cristian Sanchez goal. Tomas Moffatt goal. Alejandro Diaz 2 assists. MB 12-4-3
• Late Thursday — Boyd Anderson 23, South Plantation 18: 106: double forfeit. 113: Devin Hart (SP) forf. 120: double forfeit. 126: double forfeit. 132: Trey Hardy (SP) pin Samuel Gene (BA) 3:15. 138: Osner Valmeus (BA) tech. fall Michael Cardwell (SP) 0:00 20-2. 145: Tshed Senecal (BA) pin Jacon Tamez (SP) 1:05. 152: double forfeit. 160: Frantz Beauplan (BA) forf. 170: double forfeit. 182: double forfeit. 195: Jaret Insel (SP) forf. 220: double forfeit. 285: Malik Alberic (BA) forf.
Doral Academy vs. Champagnat (CPG), 6:30
Gulliver Prep vs. Ransom Everglades (Ransom Everglades), 7:30
Big 8 final at South Plantation: 7
Coral Springs Charter vs. Lourdes (COL), 4
Boca Raton vs. Gulliver Prep (GPS), 4:30
Coral Springs vs. Park Vista (Park Vista), 3
Cardinal Gibbons, Archbishop McCarthy, Deerfield Beach, Miramar, Taravella, Deerfield Beach vs. Chaminade-Madonna (CHAM), 3
Western, Flanagan vs. Jupiter (Jupiter), 3
District 15-1A at Miami Country Day: 8
Region 3-5A semifinal: Douglas at St. Thomas Aquinas, 6
Region 4-5A semifinal: West Broward at Cypress Bay, 7
Region 4-3A semifinal: Jensen Beach at American Heritage, 7
Region 4-2A semifinal: Delray American Heritage at Chaminade-Madonna, 4
Region 4-1A semifinal at Weston Regional Park: South Florida HEAT vs. Boca Christian, 7
Region 4-5A semifinal at Columbus: Ferguson vs. Lourdes, 4
Region 4-2A semifinal: Ransom Everglades at Gulliver, 3:30
Region 4-1A semifinal: Miami Country Day at Marathon, 7