Venezuela

Venezuela VP warns of ‘actions’ to thwart assassination plot

 

Venezuelan Vice President Nicolás Maduro warned the opposition that the government would be taking ‘actions’ to stop what he said was an assassination plot against him and National Assembly President Diosdado Cabello.

jwyss@MiamiHerald.com

Venezuela marked the 55th anniversary of its return to democracy Wednesday amid deep political divisions and accusations from both sides that their foes were bent on violence, and even assassination.

At a massive rally, Vice President Nicolás Maduro said there were clear indications that “infiltrated” groups were trying to kill him and National Assembly President Diosdado Cabello.

On the other side of town, huddled in a gymnasium, a coalition of opposition parties accused the government of trying to incite violence on the streets and ratchet up fear to distract the nation from its pressing problems.

Standing in front of a massive banner of the president, Maduro told chanting supporters that the administration had uncovered plans to kill him and Cabello and then blame it on an internal power struggle.

“Don’t be surprised by the actions we take within the next hours or the next days,” he warned the opposition. “And those criminals who infiltrated our country shouldn’t come asking for forgiveness.”

During last year’s presidential campaign, Chávez had maintained foreign mercenaries were plotting against him, including a U.S. citizen —reportedly a former Marine — who was arrested in August. Nothing has come of that case.

Wednesday’s dueling events showed, once again, that the ruling PSUV has the ability to dominate the streets and hem in the opposition even without President Hugo Chávez, who has been in a Cuban hospital for more than a month recovering from cancer surgery.

The rallies marked the 1958 overthrow of dictator Marcos Pérez Jiménez who ruled the country for seven years. Earlier this month, the opposition had said it would mark the date by staging a march to protest what they see as the government’s trampling of the constitution. Days later, however, the government also called its supporters to take the streets, and the opposition scaled-back its plans to avoid violence.

On Wednesday, Miranda Gov. Henrique Capriles, who lost against Chávez in the October presidential race, said the government was hoping to stir up trouble.

“The government wanted a confrontation today,” he said at the packed gymnasium where the opposition had gathered. “We are not going to fall into their trap. As long as they keep promoting violence, we’ll keep betting on the peace and tranquility of our nation.”

If Chávez were to step down or die, the constitution calls for new elections within 30 days. Many believe that Capriles, 40, would be the natural candidate to face Maduro or any other Chávez successor.

Political divisions run deep in Venezuela, but this has been a tense month in the oil-rich nation, as the opposition has insisted that the administration is violating the constitution by claiming that Chávez is still in charge even though he has not been seen or heard from since Dec. 10.

On Wednesday, the government said a reporter for state-run VTV television was hospitalized after being beaten at the opposition rally.

On Tuesday, opposition legislator Julio Borges said he had been assaulted on the floor of the National Assembly by PSUV congressman Claudio Farías. Farías maintains that Borges provoked him by insulting Chávez and shoving him.

The tension comes as the administration says Chávez is recovering from his fourth-round of surgery to treat an undisclosed form of cancer. In recent communiqués, the administration has said he’s alert, giving orders and cracking jokes.

Maduro told the Chavista crowds Wednesday that he and the president of the state-run PDVSA oil company Rafael Ramirez were on their way to Cuba to consult with the leader.

“What do you want us to take to Chávez?” Maduro asked the masses.

“Love!” they replied.

Read more Venezuela stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category