Last season, the District 15-5A final came down to the same two teams. Ferguson defeated Lourdes in a dramatic match that was settled by penalty kicks.
On Thursday night, the Bobcats finally earned their revenge against the Falcons with a convincing 3-0 win at Tropical Park.
Lourdes, undefeated in district play this season en route to its title, will meet Coral Reef in the regional quarterfinals, and Ferguson will face District 16-5A champion Palmetto.
Michelle Figarola, now with 16 goals on the season, scored twice on a pair of second-half headers to put the game away. The first came on a two-on-one break in the 48th minute where Bailey Plummer sent her a perfect feed from the right side. The second goal was scored with under eight minutes remaining off an assist from Cristina Rodriguez Garcia, who rocketed a free kick from just inside midfield into the box for Figarola.
“She’s good out of the air, and she’s connected a couple times this year, but those were two really pretty ones,” Lourdes coach Ray Walden said.
The Bobcats (16-2) scored their first goal in the 36th minute. A corner kick ricocheted right to Sheridan Plummer after a Ferguson defender deflected it in the box. Plummer one-timed it off her right foot to break the scoreless tie.
Lourdes, out of the 4-4-2, extended its shutout streak of district foes. Behind goalkeeper Jenny Herold, the Bobcats have yet to surrender a goal in a district game all season.
Natalie Valderruten, a sophomore for Ferguson (16-5-1) sustained a right knee injury with 18 minutes to play when she overextended while defending a Bobcat near the Lourdes bench.
The game was delayed about five minutes before trainers carried her off the field.
Valderruten told paramedics, who arrived later, she “felt it pop.”
Paramedics transported her to a nearby hospital for what coach Richard Lopez called a probable medial collateral ligament (MCL) tear.
• District 15-5A final: Lourdes 3, Ferguson 0: Michella Figarola 2 goals. Sheridan Plummer goal. Cristina Rodriguez Garcia assist.
MORE GIRLS’ SOCCER
• Late Wednesday — District 16-2A Semifinal — Gulliver 4, Coral Shores 0: Nicole Harris 2 goals, assist. Madelene Intriago 2 goals, assist. Samantha Earle 2 assists. Sophia Trujillo shutout. GUL 16-0-4
• Mourning 3, Goleman 1: Ivan Barriga 2 goals, Cristian Restrepo goal. MOU 13-3-4
• Gulliver 8, Chaminade 1: Brian Ruiz-Unger 3 goals, assist. Alex Motehzardeh 2 goals. Thomas Morillo goal. GUL 14-1-2
• Late Wednesday — Miami Beach 4, Braddock 0: Tomas Moffatt 2 goals. Cristian Sanchez goal. Giovanni Araujo goal. Eduardo Moya shutout. MB 10-4-3
• Southridge 60 Homestead 32 - SR: Williams 17, Horn 17, Herbert 5, McAnuff 6, Wilson 5, Kirkland 9. HOM: Morris 14, Morales 4, Zayas 2, Molina 12. Halftime: SR 31-16. Rebounds: Kirkland 8. Assists: Horn 8. Steals: McAnuff 7. SR 12-5
• TERRA 55, Edison 23 - TER (10-7): Corujo 24, Perlberg 10, Pandolfo 4. Halftime: TER 27-11. Rebounds: Tato 9, Cope 5.
• Miami Beach 54, Mater Academy 41 - MB (17-6): Henry 16, Reque 16, Pardo 18, Nedrick 4. MA: Acosta 2, Angulo 15, Pena 6, Lorenzo 12. Rebounds: Nedrick 11. Assists: Reque 12. Steals: Reque 4
• Late Wednesday — Southridge 41, Palmetto 37 - SR (11-5): Williams 5, Horn 9, McAnuff 1, Wilson 6, Kirkland 16, Fluker 2, Herrera 2. PAL: Calice 9, Bellinghieri 7, Bistrong 12, Elliott 6, Gross 3. Halftime: SR 21-18. Three-pointers: Kirkland, Gross. Rebounds: Kirkland 12. Assists: Williams 5. Steals: Kirkland 4