Militants retaliate for Mali intervention with kidnapping in Algeria

 

McClatchy Newspapers

Apparently in revenge for France’s intervention in neighboring Mali, an Islamist group attacked a foreign-run gas field in southern Algeria on Wednesday morning and reportedly kidnapped an undetermined number of Americans and dozens of other foreign workers.

Two others reportedly were killed in the attack, including a Briton, and scores of Algerians also were captured, though some were released throughout the day, according to Algerian state television.

The kidnapping could lead to more U.S. intervention in the region than American officials had planned just a day ago, when the United States vowed to provide only logistical support to the six-day French-led offensive to rid Mali of al Qaida control over large swaths of the west African nation.

That terrorist activities bled into southern Algeria portended further instability from the French-led effort to stop al Qaida in Mali, which two years ago was limited to criminal activity but has since spread into a major terrorist group that dominates northern Mali. It also suggested that the NATO-led operation to remove former Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi had created a new kind of instability in the region.

Al Qaida and its affiliates expanded operations in Mali after Gadhafi’s overthrow as weapons and fighters poured over the porous border last year, just as the government in Bamako collapsed. As a result half of Mali, a U.S.- and French-allied country, became a terrorist haven. Until Wednesday, it had appeared that Algeria had largely been spared the instability in Libya and Mali.

BP, Statoil and Sonatrach, the Algerian national oil company, operated the In Amenas gas field in southern Algeria, 38 miles from the Libyan border and 500 miles from Mail.

Calling the attack a “terrorist act,” Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta told reporters traveling with him in Rome that the United States "will take all necessary and proper steps" in response, but he offered no specifics.

Indeed, it appeared that U.S. officials were still figuring out what happened. At the Pentagon, officials said no imminent military response was planned to the purported kidnapping, which the State Department and FBI are investigating.

“We are trying to figure out what happened and are assessing an appropriate response. Whatever we do would be in close coordination with the State Department, FBI and the Algerians,” said Air Force Maj. Rob Firman, a Pentagon spokesman.

State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland confirmed that Americans were among the hostages but she wouldn’t say how many.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton spoke to Algerian Prime Minister Abdelmalek Sellal and the U.S. ambassador in Algeria, Nuland said. Officials at BP, which owned the field with two other companies, said the company was still determining what happened at the remote field and which of its personnel were involved, according to a statement on its website.

BP officials said they thought the attackers had shut down the gas field, which employed hundreds.

Details of the kidnapping emerged from Katibat Moulathamine, or the “Masked Brigade,” which told a Mauritanian news service that the abduction was retaliation for the French offensive. Katibat Moulathamine, thought to be an al Qaida-affiliated group, said it was holding 41 employees of at least nine nationalities.

Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said 13 Norwegians employed at the gas field were among the kidnapped. The Japanese government confirmed that one of its citizens was among thosee kidnapped, as did Ireland.

In Algiers, officials rejected negotiating with terrorists. "The Algerian authorities will not respond to the demands of the terrorists and will not negotiate," official news agency APS quoted Interior Minister Daho Ould Kablia as saying.

Meanwhile, al Qaida-linked rebels and French ground troops engaged in intense fighting Wednesday in the town of Diabaly in central Mali as French troops worked to oust the militants, the Los Angeles Times reported, citing reports in French news media.

Gen. Carter Ham, the head of U.S. Africa Command, told The Wall Street Journal on Tuesday that he expects the fight to regain control of Mali to be protracted.

"My sense is that the French are committed and understand this will not be a short-term campaign," Ham told the Journal.

Johnnie Carson, the assistant secretary of state for African affairs, told journalists Wednesday that the situation in Mali is a complex crisis with four main issues: returning the country to democratic governance after a coup, addressing the political grievances of the northern Tuareg, defeating al Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb and dealing with the region’s humanitarian problems.

Carson said the United States was committed to carrying out pre-deployment training of African troops who are expected to enter Mali and fight alongside the French-backed forces.

"What we will not do is to provide salaries for those troops and we will not provide any lethal weapons to them, but we will train them to be able to do the kinds of jobs that are necessary and help with a variety of important equipment that will help sustain and make their operations more effective," Carson said.

Hannah Allam contributed to this report from Washington.

Email: nyoussef@mcclatchydc.com; Twitter: @nancyayoussef

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Bahraini activist detained on arrival to kingdom

    Police detained Bahraini human rights campaigner Maryam al-Khawaja after her arrival in the Gulf country on Saturday, her mother said.

  •  
North Korean women, dressed in traditional Chogori watch a pro wrestling exhibition, Saturday, Aug. 30, 2014 in Pyongyang, North Korea. North Koreans got their first look at pro wrestling in about 20-years on Saturday when former NFL lineman Bob "The Beast" Sapp, and 20 other fighters from around the world took to the ring for an exhibition in Pyongyang, put together by colourful Japanese pro-wrestler Kanji "Antonio" Inoki, who is now a member of parliament.

    Pro wrestling returns to the ring in North Korea

    North Koreans got their first look at pro wrestling in about 20 years on Saturday when an ex-NFL lineman and 20 other grapplers from around the world took to the ring for an exhibition put together by a charismatic former Japanese pro-wrestler who is now a member of parliament.

  •  
Supporters take part in the 'No to NATO' protest march in Newport, south Wales, Saturday, Aug. 30, 2014. Around 1,000 protesters have marched through the streets of Newport ahead of next week's NATO summit. More than 150 heads of state and ministers will attend the two-day event at Newport's Celtic Manor Resort. The event will be "uncharted territory" for police - while Wales' First Minister Carwyn Jones has said it will be "momentous" in his country's history. However, its presence in the principality - and the UK - has been met with strong opposition from a number of anti-war groups as well as left-wing organizations. A large crowd gathered outside Newport Crown Court at around midday before going on a march through the Welsh city. As well as strong Welsh contingent, protesters came from as far as Washington, Belgium, France and Ireland. (AP Photo/Benjamin Wright, PA Wire)     UNITED KINGDOM OUT    -   NO SALES    -    NO ARCHIVES

    Hundreds protest in Wales before NATO summit

    Hundreds of anti-war protesters have marched through the Welsh city of Newport before a major NATO summit there next week.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category