Mark Guandolo is staying at Cypress Bay.
The 54-year-old football coach, who began his coaching career in South Florida in the early 1980s and led three programs — Hollywood Chaminade, Miami Southridge and most recently Cypress Bay — to a state final appearance, turned down an offer to coach at Orlando Edgewater High on Tuesday after deliberating for a few days.
Guandolo interviewed at Edgewater on Friday.
“Since Friday, it’s pretty much been a whirlwind,” said Guandolo, who has a 240-71 record and has won two state titles.
“I’ve gotten like a 1,000 phone calls. It wasn’t easy to say no. But I’ve been here 30 years, all my coaches and ex-players live down here. I’m a beach guy. This is my home.”
Edgewater athletic director Valerie Miyares, who coached softball and worked as an assistant athletic director at Chaminade-Madonna under Guandolo before he left for Cypress Bay, had pushed for Guandolo to take over the Eagles’ program.
Guandolo said he had “received plenty of other offers before to take over other programs, but this was the closest I’ve ever come to leaving.”
“The administration at Cypress Bay has always been nothing but very supportive,” Guandolo said. “I’ve got a great staff and a great group of kids who wanted to see me back. There’s a lot of plusses here, and I’m excited about continuing to build the program.”
Cypress Bay reached the Class 8A state championship game last month and lost a controversial heartbreaker to Apopka 53-50. The Lightning had more than 30 seniors on its roster.
“In the end, South Florida is just where my roots are,” Guandolo said. “It’s hard to pull them from the ground.”
• District 15-5A Semifinal — Ferguson 3, Gables 0: Ana Jenkins goal, assist. Marcela Ramirez goal. Jessica Suarez goal. Isa Jara assist.
• District 12-5A Quarterfinal — St. Thomas Aquinas 9, Nova 0: Jessica Hoyt 4 goals. Rachel Bogue 2 goals. Kaitlin Tighe goal. Ashley Cardounel goal. Johanna Erickson goal. STA 19-1-1
• District 11-5A Quarterfinal — Coral Glades 1, Coral Springs 0
• District Quarterfinal 16-2A — Ransom Everglades 6, TERRA 0: Dani Frese 3 goals, Gaby Henriquez goal, Charlsey Zyne shutout. RE 11-6-1
• District 15-5A Semifinal — Lourdes 6, South Miami 0: Sophia Portuondo goal, Michelle Figarola goal, Tatiana Hernandez goal.
• Late Monday — District 16-2A Quarterfinal — Carrollton 2, St. Brendan 0: CAR (11-4-3): Sofia Cosio goal, assist. Sam Hoadley goal, assist.
• LaSalle 1, Belen 1: Mateo Brugo goal. Alvaro Morales assist. LAS 8-3-2.
• Keys Gate 79, Somerset 41 - KG: Gage 19, Reyes 13, Gilzeanne 10. Halftime: KG 37-17. Three-pointers: Gage. Rebounds: Reyes, Gilzeanne 9. Assists: Reyes 11. Steals: Gage 9.
• Late Monday — Archbishop Carroll 67, Florida Christian 40 - AC (19-4): Leon 16, Amaro 11, Lima 11, Brown 10, Gabuardi 7, Garcia 4, Fernandez 4, Levitt 2, Cohen 2. FC: Perez 8, Cardoza 8, Hernandez 7, Herschman 7, Montes de Oca 4, Weeks 3, Wicks 3. Halftime score: AC 34-16. Three-pointers: Leon 3, Amaro 2, Lima, Gabuardi, Cardoza 2, Hernandez. Rebounds: Gabuardi 6. Assists: Garcia 4, Lima 4, Amaro 4. Steals: Amaro 3.