Finally! After a seemingly endless marathon of dozens of college football bowl games, our long wait is almost over. After weeks of excited anticipation and breathless buildup, we arrive at last at the threshold of the one game the only game that really matters:
Kent State vs. Arkansas State in Sundays GoDaddy.com Bowl!
Oh, you thought I meant Notre Dame vs. Alabama? Come to think of it, the No. 1 Fighting Irish and No. 2 Crimson Tide playing in the BCS National Championship Game at Dolphins stadium on Monday night could be a fairly good game, too.
I just hope it doesnt prove anticlimactic and get overshadowed by the penultimate bowl as the Golden Flashes and Red Wolves clash at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile.
That reminds me. Alabama coach Nick Saban played at Kent State in the early 1970s. Wonder if hell watch his alma mater play Sunday night or accompany his team as it watches a private screening of Zero Dark Thirty.
Saban, of course, is despised by Miami Dolphins fans for lying before he left for Alabama, and Notre Dame is despised by Miami Hurricanes fans.
That sound you hear Monday night will be Irish and Tide fans cheering for their team, and South Floridians angrily booing both on general principle.
• Hope you all had a safe and happy New Years. New Years Eve is the only time you hear people scream, The ball is dropping! Well, other than when the New York Jets are on offense.
• The New York Daily News reported that Jets coach Rex Ryan has a tattoo of his wife wearing nuthin but a Mark Sanchez jersey. HARD-HITTING INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISM LIVES!!!
• Seven NFL coaches were fired, including the Eagles Andy Reid and Bears Lovie Smith. Reid quickly signed with the Chiefs, and Oregons Chip Kelly reportedly might sign with the Browns. Apparently, both men are tired of winning.
• Old Cane Ray Lewis of the Ravens announced he would retire after these playoffs. Son Ray Lewis III will be a UM football freshman next season. Not sure of his chances of making the NFL, but about 90 percent sure of the chances his nickname will become RL3.
• Suspended Saints coach Sean Payton was given a contract extension. Not sure the amount, but I bet it was bounteous.
• Louisville upset Florida in the Sugar Bowl, and in the Orange Bowl, Florida State answered whether Northern Illinois belonged. The answer was 31-10.
• UM football nervously awaits its Notice of Allegations from the NCAA. Itll be the last bowl game of the season: Canes, bowled over.
• Charles Barkley said fans should not be allowed to vote for NBA all-stars. I disagreed. Until I saw that Chris Bosh was trailing the human remains of Kevin Garnett in fan voting.
• ESPNs Tom Haberstroh wrote a story headlined, Are We Bored With LeBron? The theory was that James excellence has become routine, such as his 31 consecutive games with 20-plus points to start a season, the second-longest streak ever. Dear Tom: You might be bored. But Miami isnt.
LeBron explained the Heats well-documented rebounding woes by simply saying the team doesnt have the knack. (Your punch line goes here and must include the word Sharona.)