Fish fillets topped with melted Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese can be made in minutes using a microwave. Penne pasta tossed with fresh basil is a simple side dish. The secret to this recipe is using best quality Parmesan.
The recipe calls for cooking the fish in a microwave oven. It can also be sautéed on the stove. Simply place a layer of tomatoes in a nonstick skillet and place the fish fillets over them. Cover with a lid and cook 8 minutes for a 1-inch thick fillet. Alter the time according to the thickness of the fillet, counting 8 minutes per inch.
This meal contains 561 calories per serving with 29 percent of calories from fat.
• Any short-cut pasta such as elbow macaroni or rigatoni can be used.
• The easiest way to chop basil is to cut it with a scissors. It is used in both recipes. Prepare at one time and divide accordingly.
• Shave the Parmesan with a potato peeler.
• Two crushed garlic cloves can be used instead of bought minced garlic.
• Place water for pasta on to boil.
• Prepare ingredients for pasta and place in a bowl.
• Make fish fillets.
• Boil pasta and toss with ingredients in bowl.
To buy: 2 medium tomatoes, 1 bunch fresh basil, 1 piece Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, 2 (6-ounce) fish fillets, 1 box penne pasta.
Staples: Olive oil, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, salt, black peppercorns.
Linda Gassenheimer’s latest book is “The Flavors of the Florida Keys.” Her website is dinnerinminutes.com. Follow her on Twitter @lgassenheimer.