• UM mens basketball team finished 1-2 in Hawaii over the holidays, now prepare to open Atlantic Coast Conference play in six days at Georgia Tech. Is that talk of Sweet 16 potential make-believe? Time for Canes to make believers.
• The NHL lockout reached Day 106 with both sides apparently prepared to drive over the cliff together. Theyll all be driving those little clown cars like the Shriners ride in circles in parades.
• Several teams, including the Texas Rangers, reportedly are making offers for slugger Giancarlo Stanton. Luckily we all know Marlins management and of course trust it would never, ever disappoint fans by trading away a popular, talented player like that just to save money!
Reading the Bible recently, I noticed for the first time that, in Matthew 5:5 about the meek inheriting the Earth, they were referring to the Los Angeles Clippers.
• Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron is dating the reigning Miss Alabama an Auburn graduate. Oh, the humanity!
• Two players for the Texas Longhorns were suspended from the Alamo Bowl. I wonder if that was without pay?
• HORSE WARS! Gulfstream plans year-round racing starting in 2014, infringing on Calders exclusive dates. I personally dont care. I just wanted an excuse to shout HORSE WARS!
• The Junior Orange Bowl Championships ended in tennis. The most extraordinary performance that really stood out was by that one parent who did not berate his losing child.
Parting thought: Went to my market and saw they were selling mushy old bananas nobody would want. That reminds me, I hear the Jets are willing to trade quarterbacks Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow.
Visit Gregs Random Evidence of a Cluttered Blog daily at MiamiHerald.com and follow on Twitter @gregcote.