We are just past halftime of college footballs bowl season 19 games into a 35-game parade and I can tell you we here in South Florida are most definitely spoiled.
We get to host the Jan. 7 BCS National Championship Game, with No. 1 Notre Dame and No. 2 Alabama bringing a combined 24-1 record. The prospect of an epic game is so great, well even forgive the fact both teams are hated in Miami the Tide because of Nick Sabans lying Dolphins exit, the Irish because of old Canes-related animus.
And before that we get Tuesdays appetizer: Florida State vs. Northern Illinois, and their combined 23-3 record, in the Orange Bowl Classic. The matchup figures as so entertaining, well even look past the fact FSU was dreaming national title and is only faking being thrilled with this game, and the fact Northern Illinois is to college football tradition what Spam is to fine cuisine.
(Special mention to Northern Illinois quarterback Jordan Lynch, who caught FSUs attention by saying this week, They havent seen anything like our offense. And, In the fourth quarter, we plan to have them on their knees. Isnt he cute!?)
I say we are spoiled to have these two bowls because, well, nobody stinks.
So many bowls, and bowl teams, stink. Seriously.
This seasons bloated roster of 70 bowl-ing schools includes 15 teams with five losses, 14 with six losses and two Georgia Tech and Duke with seven. (New rule: If Duke is in a bowl, there is one too many bowl games.)
The math therefore says that 31 of 70 bowl teams, almost half, had seasons that would get the coachs house egged in any self-respecting college town.
Sixteen bowls still to be played include Georgia Tech and Southern Cal, a combined 11-12, in the Hyundai Disappointment Bowl; and Pitt vs. Ole Miss, a pair of 6-6s, in the BBVA Mediocrity Bowl.
A .500 team being lavished with a bowl game reminds me of one of those everybody-wins school races where even the kid who gets lapped in a 100-yard dash wins a 12th-place ribbon.
So welcome, Notre Dame-Alabama, and even you, FSU-Northern Illinois.
Thank you for being really good teams that actually deserve a bowl game.
• The Internet was abuzz with the Dolphins supposed redesigned logo, which shows a sleeker, stylized dolphin without eyes or a helmet. Moral of story: No matter how hard you try or what you do, you simply can not make a leaping dolphin look menacing.
• Cameron Wake was the only Dolphin selected to the Pro Bowl. Thats the game players are thrilled to be chosen for, but then schedule hangnail surgery and bad hair days to avoid actually playing in.
• Reggie Bush and Richie Incognito shared the Dolphins Good Guy award for dealing with the media. Both were cooperative, although Incognito would only agree to be interviewed if he could punch you first.
• NBA suspended Heats Dwyane Wade one game without pay or $154,764 for kicking Charlottes Ramon Sessions in the groin is a tough financial hit, especially around the holidays. Thinking of taking up a collection for poor Dwyane. Telethon, maybe?
• The Orange Bowl Basketball Classic was Saturday at the Sunrise arena. The four-team mens event featured Florida and Florida State. Because including Miami, that would have made too much sense.