Les Miserables, one of the most beloved musicals of all time, is now on the silver screen. The story follows Jean Valjean, played by Hugh Jackman, who was sent to prison for stealing a loaf of bread. After breaking his parole, he spends the next two decades fleeing from policeman Javert (Russell Crowe). After meeting Fantine, a working-class mother who turns to prostitution to support herself, he agrees to take care of her daughter, Cosette. All of their stories intermingle during the student rebellion in Paris when lives are lost, lovers are united, and one man’s journey for freedom is finally concluded. Prepare yourself for the epic movie-musical with this trivia quiz!
1. The musical and movie are both based on a novel by the same name. Who wrote the novel?
A. Alexandre Dumas
B. Jean-Jacques Rousseau
C. Gustave Flaubert
D. Victor Hugo
2. Fantine and Cosette are the most important female leads in the film. Which duo plays the mother-daughter team?
A. Anne Hathaway — Dakota Fanning
B. Amanda Seyfried — Samantha Barks
C. Anne Hathaway — Amanda Seyfried
D. Kate Winslet — Anne Hathaway
3. When did Les Miserables the musical first appear on Broadway?
4. Which actor or actress in the film was also a cast member in the 25th anniversary performance?
A. Helena Bonham Carter
B. Samantha Barks
C. Aaron Tveit
D. Eddie Redmayne
5. The 1998 film version of Les Miserables, which earned only $14 million, starred which popular actor?
A. Liam Neeson
B. Patrick Stewart
C. Harrison Ford
D. Leonardo DiCaprio