On Saturday, Bay of Pigs invasion veterans mark 50 years since their release

 

At 11 a.m. on Saturday, Brigade 2506 members will gather to mark the 50th anniversary of their release from Cuban prisons after the U.S. paid $52 million in medicine and food for their release.

If you go

What: Bay of Pigs prisoner release Mass and reunion

When: 11 a.m. Saturday

Where: Bay of Pigs Museum, 1821 SW Ninth St., Miami

For more information: 305-649-4719

lyanez@MiamiHerald.com

But how to get the tons of goods to Cuba without involving the government?

The idea came up to recruit the American Red Cross to handle the delivery of the loaded-down cargo ships. They would leave Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale loaded with medicine and come back loaded down with Cuban refugees.

Gloria Villa, back then a 20-year-old active in winning the release of the brigadistas, was quickly recruited by the Red Cross to travel to Cuba and help process the prisoners because she was a bilingual U.S. citizen.

“It was very emotional for me; I knew many of the men from school and the entire experience was heartbreaking,” said Villa, who works at a downtown law firm. Her job was to check-in the prisoners for the flight to Miami. “Today. I consider it the most important thing I did in my life, including having children.”

On the second day of the prisoner flights — Dec. 24 — more drama broke out.

“At one point, my mother, Castro and Donovan were standing on the tarmac of the military airport as Castro demanded that no more prisoner flights take off until he was paid $2.9 million in cash,” Perez-Cisneros Barreto said.

Castro had been promised the money in April 1962 when he released 60 wounded brigadistas.

Finagling by RFK, with help from wealthy friends, secured a bank note for the Castro to get the money.

The prisoner flights to Miami continued until the early morning of Christmas Day.

Fifty years since his release, the one bright spot in the invasion effort, Andreu is still haunted by its failure and how it plummeted Cuba into communism and sent him permanently into exile.

“I don’t know if I have ever been truly happy since then,” he said.

Read more Miami-Dade stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category