• The non-profit organization Diveheart will conduct training courses for dive instructors and buddies of handicapped divers Jan. 3-8 at Shake-A-Leg Miami in Coconut Grove. Fee is $395 for instructor training; $250 for buddy training. Call Willie at 561-307-8583 or Jim at 630-964-1983 or email email@example.com.
• Make plans to compete in the Silver Sailfish Derby Jan.10-12 out of Sailfish Marina on Singer Island. Entry fee is $975 by Thursday for West Palm Beach Fishing Club members; $1,275 for non-members. Fees rise after Thursday. Call 561-832-6780 or visit www.westpalmbeachfishingclub.org.
• Catch and release sailfish in the Cheeca Presidential Sailfish Tournament Jan. 17-19 in Islamorada, the second leg of the Florida Keys Gold Cup series. Entry fee is $695 for the first angler; $645 for each additional angler up to four per boat. Visit www.cheeca.com or call Liz Hill at 305-451-5094.
• Catch and release redfish, snook and bonefish in the 23rd annual Swamp Guides Ball in Islamorada. Entry fee is $200 for a team of two. Call Terry or Rusty Albury at 305-664-5742.
• Ultra-runners are invited to compete in Everglades Ultras — a 50-mile, 50-kilometer or 25-kilometer foot race — on Feb. 16 in the Fakahatchee Strand Preserve State Park. For more information, visit www.evergladesultras.com.
The Bimini Big Game Club will host “Wahoo Smackdown II” Feb. 21-23 in Bimini, Bahamas. More than $30,000 in cash and prizes will be awarded. Call 800-867-4767.
To our readers
This page is a regular weekly feature focusing on Florida outdoors adventures and upcoming events.
If you would like to add to this listing, email scocking@MiamiHerald.com or fax to 305-376-2295