• Impact player: Cameron Wake had a big opening period for the Dolphins as he sacked Colin Kaepernick twice. Wake’s first sack came on a third-and-3 as Wake forced a fumble that the 49ers recovered. His second sack came on a second down.
• Highlights: Davone Bess, who grew up across the bay in Oakland, had a number of big plays on Miami’s second possession. Bess kept things going with a 10-yard catch to the 50 on third-and-7. That helped Miami kick a field goal early in the second.
• Lowlights: There weren’t many as the Dolphins did a lot of good in the opening quarter. Miami was able to move the ball on both possessions as the defense held the 49ers to 44 yards. False start penalties against Jonathan Martin and Nate Garner on consecutive first-and-goal plays were the biggest gaffes.
• Impact player: Kaepernick worked the 49ers deep into Miami territory on consecutive possessions with David Akers kicking a pair of field goals for a 6-3 halftime lead. Kaepernick, sacked for a third time by Wake late in the second, went 12 for 15 for 133 yards in the half.
• Highlights: The Dolphins took a 3-0 lead 1:29 into the quarter when Dan Carpenter punched in a 28-yard kick. Reggie Bush got back into the passing plan as Miami went his way a few times — although two Ryan Tannehill passes to Bush were off the mark.
• Lowlights: The 49ers’ first scoring drive (a 30-yard field goal) was helped along by a personal foul on Miami safety Chris Clemons. Clemons hit LaMichael James after a short gain at midfield. The penalty gave the Niners a first down at the Miami 32. Miami also failed to down a punt inside the 3.
• Impact player: Plantation resident Frank Gore (Coral Gables/UM) tied the 49ers’ franchise record by scoring his 50th rushing touchdown to give San Francisco a 13-3 lead early in the third. Gore went over the 1,000-yard mark for the season later in the quarter.
• Highlights: Not long after muffing a punt that led to the 49ers’ first touchdown, Marcus Thigpen took a kickoff five yards into the end zone across the 50. The Dolphins took advantage of a 5-yard holding on first-and-20 from the 45. Carpenter hit a season-long 53-yard field goal.
• Lowlights: The Dolphins defense played well for much of the game but was undone by a struggling offense — and Thigpen’s fumbled punt. The Niners took over at the 9 after Thigpen dropped the ball and San Francisco scored two plays later when Gore walked in from the 1.
• Impact player: Bush had a number of big plays on Miami’s first possession of the fourth that led to a touchdown. He ran for a 17 yards to the 6 on third down and also caught a 9-yard pass. Bush ended with 65 rushing yards and caught five passes for 38 yards.
• Highlights: Anthony Fasano made a one-handed grab in the left corner of the end zone for the Dolphins’ lone touchdown. Miami, down 20-6 at the time, went for it on 4th-and-goal from the 3.
• Lowlights: Miami had a first down at the 49ers’ 35 after a roughing the passer call yet gave it up as Tannehill threw four consecutive incomplete passes. Tannehill went deep to Rishard Matthews, Bess and Marlon Moore — and threw one away after being flushed out of the pocket on second down. Kaepernick scored on a 50-yard run on the ensuing possession to put the game away.