Mississippi disaster chief tells Congress that recovery efforts need aid faster

 

Medill News Service

In a hearing Tuesday on Capitol Hill about recovery efforts after Hurricane Sandy, Mississippi’s top emergency-management official told Congress that federal dollars need to be released to disaster relief officials sooner.

Government red tape can hold up money for people affected by storms such as Sandy, said Robert Latham, the executive director of the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency, who’s overseen a dozen disasters in his state, from floods to tornadoes.

“We need to change the language in the law to allow for estimates,” Latham said. He urges allowing the Federal Emergency Management Agency to supply grants to local governments sooner, without waiting for detailed damage estimates.

His testimony before the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee came the same day that FEMA issued its first large payment to New York City, more than a month after the devastating hurricane.

Republican Rep. John Mica of Florida, the panel’s chairman, agreed with Latham.

“There has to be a quicker way,” he said.

The committee questioned the head of FEMA and other disaster-relief leaders about the speed of recovery and rebuilding efforts since Sandy, amid modest praise for the federal agency’s general handling of the disaster.

“It takes a lot of people,” FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate said of the lessons learned so far from the hurricane, which tore through the Northeast in late October, wreaking destruction up and down New Jersey’s celebrated coastline. It damaged parts of New York City and neighborhoods on Long Island and elsewhere. It also affected nearly a dozen other states.

State and local leaders, including Latham, were on hand Tuesday to recommend improvements to recovery efforts based on their experiences in previous natural disasters. Latham worked with FEMA in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, when 82 Mississippi counties were declared disaster areas.

Fugate said the most immediate cost in a disaster was debris removal. He said FEMA began the fiscal year on Oct.1 with $7.1 billion for disaster relief and had $4.8 billion left, which should last until early spring.

Latham, meanwhile, told the committee in his written testimony that a disaster presents “a tremendous opportunity for a community to build back smarter, better, stronger, safer and more resilient.

“Long after the state and federal government is gone, local officials and citizens, as well as their private-sector partners, are left to continue to put their communities back together. Every decision made should be what’s best for that community, not what’s best for the state or federal government.”

The Medill News Service is a Washington program of the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University.

Read more Politics Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Tom Foley, the endorsed Republican candidate for Connecticut governor, center left, talks with restaurant owner Sophie Bartkowicz, as New Britain Mayor Erin Stewart, left, and State Rep. candidate Edward Colon, second from left, listen, as Foley campaigns in New Britain, Conn, Monday, July 28, 2014. Foley, who was trounced by urban voters in his narrow loss four years ago to Dannel Malloy, says this time he is focusing more on cities.

    Foley focuses on cities in seeking Malloy rematch

    Republican gubernatorial candidate Tom Foley said Monday he's still crafting his urban agenda for Connecticut's cities, focusing on issues such as high unemployment, a large educational achievement gap and affordable housing needs.

  • House approves bill to toughen NKorea sanctions

    The House has passed a bill to toughen sanctions against North Korea and restrict its access to hard currency.

  • Obama mulls large-scale move on immigration

    Even as they grapple with an immigration crisis at the border, White House officials are making plans to act before November's mid-term elections to grant work permits to potentially millions of immigrants who are in this country illegally, allowing them to stay in the United States without threat of deportation, according to advocates and lawmakers in touch with the administration.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category