Many Israelis denounce cease-fire accord, say job is unfinished

 

McClatchy Newspapers

Few Palestinians or Israelis were willing to put much trust in the cease-fire deal their leaders reached on Wednesday, saying they remembered all too well the failed cease-fires of years past.

Israel and Hamas agreed to end eight days of hostilities in a truce brokered by Egyptian officials, though both sides waited to the last moment before the pact was to go into effect to halt the violence. But skepticism abounded among residents of the Gaza Strip, which has been hit by hundreds of artillery shells and bombs in the past week, and among Israelis in southern Israel, who have been threatened for years by rockets fired by militants from Gaza.

“This is a pause, not a peace,” said Ya’ara Menachem, a 41-year-old resident of the southern Israeli city of Sderot. “We don’t believe in cease-fires anymore.”

In Gaza City, Samer Mazar said he was holding off on moving his family back to their home near the border with Israel.

“I want to see if the cease-fire holds up first,” he said. “We do not trust them when they say it is over. We have to see it first.”

Many pointed to the last 24 hours, when both Israel and militants in Gaza stepped up the intensity of their attacks. Iranian-made Fajr-5 missiles were fired deep into Israel’s densely populated center Tuesday night, hitting a building in Rishon LeZion.

Altogether, five Israelis died in the past week as Palestinian militants fired more than 1,000 rockets into central and southern Israel. On Wednesday, a bomber struck a bus across the street from Israel’s military headquarters in the heart of Tel Aviv, leaving more than 15 wounded. Palestinian medics said that more than 140 Palestinian have been killed in the past week of Israeli attacks, 34 of them children.

“When so much blood has been shed, it’s hard to imagine either side is forgiving and forgetting,” Mazar said.

Near the Tel Aviv street where the bus had been bombed Wednesday afternoon, protesters held signs and began to chant “No to a cease-fire deal.”

“They bomb us and agree to all go home quietly, how can this be?” asked Yasmin Kampach, a 24-year-old student. “We don’t want to see a cease-fire deal. We want our country to eliminate the threat.”

In the southern Israeli cities that have been the most frequent target of rocket fire from Gaza, protests were held Wednesday night against the cease-fire agreement.

“We didn’t live under this rocket fire, which disrupted our lives and our children’s lives, just to buy another couple years of quiet,” said Chaim Levin, a resident of Sderot. “We wanted to see the (army) go into Gaza. I don’t care, let the army do whatever it takes, just make sure there are no more rockets.”

For days, Israel’s military leaders had warned that it was preparing for a ground invasion of the Gaza Strip. More than 70,000 Israeli reservists were called up as tanks and artillery units lined the border with Gaza in preparation.

“Not launching the ground invasion was a mistake,” said Moshe Yamin, a 67-year-old resident of Ashdod. “It makes it look like we were scared to take them on.”

A snap poll on Israel’s Channel Two news confirmed what many were saying. The poll found that 70 percent of the Israeli public did not support signing a cease-fire with Hamas, 24 percent were in favor and 6 percent were undecided.

Frenkel is a McClatchy special correspondent. Twitter: @sheeraf

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Pope Francis baptizes 10-year-hold Giorgio Capezzuoli during the Easter vigil service in St. Peter's Basilica, at the Vatican Saturday, April 19, 2014. Pope Francis baptized 10 people Saturday as he presided over an Easter Vigil in St. Peter's Basilica, fulfilling a ritual deep in meaning on the most solemn night of the Catholic calendar. Francis urged the priests, bishops, cardinals and ordinary Catholics gathered for the late night service to remember when they first found their faith. "Do I remember it? Have I forgotten it? Look for it. You'll find it. The Lord is waiting."

    Pope seeks to bring faith to "ends of the Earth"

    Pope Francis baptized 10 people Saturday and urged them to bring their faith "to the ends of the Earth" as he presided over an Easter Vigil in St. Peter's Basilica.

  •  
Friends surround Melquin Merchan, an 18-year-old painter from Aracataca, as he paints a portrait of Gabriel Garcia Marquez in front of the house where the Nobel laureate was born in Aracataca, Colombia, Friday, April 18, 2014. Garcia Marquez died at the age of 87 in Mexico City on Thursday.

    Colombia hopes to share Garcia Marquez remains

    The final resting place for the ashes of Gabriel Garcia Marquez remains unclear. It could be Mexico where he lived for decades or his native Colombia. Perhaps even both.

  •  
FILE - In this file photo taken May 21, 2011, miners work at a legal mining concession in Huaypetue, Madre de Dios, Peru. Government efforts to halt illegal mining have mostly been futile. The miners already have been clashing with police while intermittently blocking traffic on the commercially vital interoceanic highway that links the Pacific coast with Brazil. But officials insist this time they’re serious about combatting the multi-billion-dollar illegal mining trade that accounts for about 20 percent of Peru’s gold exports.

    Deadline lapses in Peru for illegal gold miners

    The clock has run out for an estimated 40,000 illegal gold miners who had until Saturday to legalize their status in a region of southeastern Peru where fortune-seekers have ravaged rainforests and contaminated rivers. The government's vow to enforce a ban on illegal mining is raising fears of bloody confrontations.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category