Londons Oxford University Press, the dictionary folks, have revealed their 2012 Word of the Year. It is omnishambles, which is defined as, a situation that has been comprehensively mismanaged and is characterized by a string of blunders and miscalculations.
Are you thinking what Im thinking?
Surely, the teams latest salary-dump fire sale and owner Jeffrey Lorias uncanny ability to make his customers hate him somehow inspired the invention of the word, because mere shambles does not go nearly far enough for this newest mess our baseball franchise has made for itself.
On the bright side, local fans, a heartbreaking Canes football loss or five interceptions in two games by Ryan Tannehill dont seem quite as bad when juxtaposed against a baseball owner who got a new stadium built on the promise of big payrolls and competitive teams and this week seemed to renege on that and betray that faith.
Miami-Dade County and the city of Miami apparently did not get in writing any minimum standards on player payrolls as part of the stadium deal. Shockingly, that puts Loria on the honor system, which is something like asking a drunk to close up the bar at night.
Am recalling the famous line from Animal House and picturing a grinning Loria saying it to local politicians and fans: You cant spend your whole life worrying about your mistakes. You [screwed] up. You trusted us!
Meanwhile, new Marlins manager Mike Redmond only has experience leading minor-league teams, which apparently will continue to be the case in 2013.
• Nigeria beat Venezuela on Wednesday in an international friendly played at Marlins Park. Following the game, all of the best players from both teams were traded to other countries by Loria.
• Tiki Barber has founded a company, Thuzio, that allows fans to rent athletes. Most are retired but some are not. One name that jumps out at us: Tannehill. Seriously. You can pay the Dolphins quarterback $5,000 to have dinner with you or attend your fantasy draft. You can pay him $7,500 to play a round of golf or attend your kids bar mitzvah. There also is a category called Custom Request. Heres mine: Ill pay Ryan $10,000 to quit throwing so damned many interceptions!
• Tackle Jake Long and punter Brandon Fields are the two Dolphins leading at their positions in early Pro Bowl fan voting. (Psst. Lets not tell the fans that Jake isnt having a very good season!)
• But on the bright side, Dolfans, the turbulence surrounding Rex Ryans Jets is fare worse than what Miami is going through. Brushfires everywhere. Good thing Fireman Ed is handy.
• No. 23 Miami plays No. 24 Tennessee on Sunday in one of the bigger home games in UM womens basketball history. Both are out to prove they might be as good as just about any team not named Baylor.
• FIU and FAU, a combined 5-15, battled for the Shula Bowl trophy Friday night. Anybody else think it strange that the NFLs all-time winningest coach is aligned with these schools? Sort of like the Sir Laurence Olivier Regional Dinner Theatre.
• NASCAR fined Jeff Gordon $100,000 but did not suspend him for intentionally wrecking Clint Bowyer, possibly resulting in payback Sunday at Homestead. Not sure what you have to do to get suspended. Perhaps if Gordon had leaned out the cockpit with an Uzi and shot out Bowyers tires?