In a penalty-filled first half, the teams battled to a 7-7 deadlock at intermission. The teams practically stopped themselves, combining for 195 yards in penalties, with the Cobras (8-2) being flagged 12 times for 120 yards.
A special teams miscue, coupled with key personal-foul penalties led to the game’s first score when Atlantic’s David Knowles reached the end zone on a 3-yard run for a 7-0 first quarter lead.
Five plays earlier, the Cobras gave up their possession by muffing an Atlantic punt at the 50. The Cobras gave away 30 yards on penalties on consecutive plays for a first-and-10 at the 15.
• Region 4-7A quarterfinal — St. Thomas 42, Miami Beach 7: The Raiders (9-2, 5-0) struggled early, but dominated late to get a playoff win over the Hi-Tides (7-4, 2-1) at Piccolo Stadium. The win is the 500th for St. Thomas’ football program.
“In the first quarter we came out kind of slow," said Raiders running back Frederick Coppet. "Their defense was making plays and our offense was making mistakes.”
The Hi-Tides recovered a fumble deep in Raiders’ territory to get good field position early. Miami Beach scored on a 5-yard run by Alonzo Foster to take the early lead. Late in the first quarter Coppet scored on a 1-yard touchdown run to tie the game.
At the start of the second quarter heavy rain started to fall. St. Thomas scored the only points of the quarter on a 2-yard touchdown run by Deltron Sands.
The Raiders will face vs Plantation (7-3, 4-1) in the Region 4-7A semifinal next Friday at St. Thomas Aquinas. These district rivals meet on October 27 when the Raiders won a close back and forth game 24-20.
• Coral Park 2, Braddock 0: Jose Molina 2 goals. Juan Pablo Gañan 2 assist. Pedro Berges shutout. CP 1-2-1.
• Pine Crest 3, Chaminade 1: Bridget Callahan goal. Dillon Villella assist.
• Westminster Academy 5, Sheridan Hills 0: Harold Eubanks 2 goals. Zach Feragutti, James Scassera,
Jesse Bibbee had one goal each.
• Blanche Ely 1, Hollywood Hills 0: John Belfort goal, Jadel Toussaint assist, Nithson Blaise shutout. ELY 2-1
Late Thursday – American Heritage-Plantation 1, Hallandale 0: Yuri Chekelsky goal. Suarez shutout. AH 5-0.
• Calvary 52, Sheridan Hills 7 – CAL: Navarro -2, Spring 17, Kreisel 1, Nevils 10, Pitts 2, Nazario 5, Ridenour 11, Pellingra 4, SHER: Hyde 2, Brown 5. Halftime: CAL 37-0. Rebounds: Nevils 6, Ridenour 6. Assists: Spring 4 .