Said Sean Barnes of Port St. Lucie: “This is a stab in the heart to all Marlins fans who took the ‘new direction’ of this team hook, line and sinker. I am absolutely infuriated by this trade, and will not support this team financially until either Jeffery Loria sells this team or gets forced out of ownership by Major League Baseball.”
Of course, not every Marlins fan is upset.
Some look at back-to-back last-place finishes in the division and last year’s 69-93 record as reason enough to start over.
“I was mad at first, but now I have had time to think about it, why pay over $100 million for a last-place team who can’t hit?” said Justin Kaylor of Cashiers, N.C.
“Jose Reyes will not be worth $22 million a year starting in 2014 for four years. Mark Buehrle isn’t worth close to $50 million over next three years. John Buck couldn’t hit the ocean if he was standing on a boat. Josh Johnson hasn’t and doesn’t look like he ever will be the same again, and Emilio Bonifacio is always hurt, and is just a speed guy. Why ride the sinking ship for another year? Cut your losses and go back to being who you are.”
While it appears All-Star right fielder Giancarlo Stanton is the one piece the Marlins absolutely refuse to move, the next pieces to go could be pitcher Ricky Nolasco and left-handed slugger Logan Morrison.
In the meantime, some of the players the Marlins received in Tuesday’s trade from Toronto took to Twitter to express their joy in being shipped to South Florida.
“Landed in Miami!” said former Florida Gators pitcher Anthony DeSclafani, a 22-year old right-hander who went 11-3 with a 3.37 ERA at Single A Lansing of the Midwest League in 2012. “Love this place.”
Miami Herald Public Insight Analyst contributed to this report.