Deaths in Syria down from peak; army casualties outpacing rebels’

 

McClatchy Newspapers

The death toll among rebels and civilians in Syria dropped 16 percent in October compared with August, the deadliest month of the conflict to date, though the number is still more than three times higher than it was in the last month of a U.N.-brokered cease-fire earlier this year, according to statistics that a Syrian human rights group compiled.

The Syrian Network for Human Rights, which works with activists and researchers in Syria to document deaths among rebels and civilians, reported 4,532 deaths for October. That was fewer than the 5,385 recorded in August and lower than September’s 4,631, but still far above the 1,344 reported in May, before the rebels renounced a U.N. cease-fire that had gone into effect April 12.

There’s no official death toll for the bloody conflict. The United Nations quit trying to track deaths earlier this year, citing inadequate information, and the Syrian government stopped reporting its own casualties via the official Syrian Arab News Agency in June after months of rising tolls among police and security forces.

That leaves it to groups such as the Syrian Network for Human Rights and the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which also reports government casualties. Both those groups are sympathetic to the rebels, and they often count rebels killed as civilians, leaving their numbers open to debate. Still, their monthly totals provide a view of the conflict that reflects the trajectory of the violence better than news reports focused on the daily mayhem do.

The October death toll shows, for example, that the Damascus area remains the most violent in the country, while violence has dropped in Aleppo province in the last month and surged in Idlib province, to the west.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which provides the only look at government casualties, found that for the months of September and October combined, government deaths outpaced rebel deaths by 2,277 to 1,650.

Of those dead rebels, only a small percentage were former Syrian soldiers, the human rights group said.

The Syrian Network for Human Rights’ casualty report showed 1,541 deaths in the Damascus area, down slightly from September’s 1,597. In Aleppo province, which includes the country’s largest city and the smaller urban areas that surround it, 780 people died in October, down from September’s 1,060.

Another 720 deaths were reported in Idlib province, where rebels are attempting to create a larger no-go zone for government forces along the country’s border with Turkey; in September, the Idlib toll was 338.

Even as overall civilian deaths fell in October, the Syrian Network for Human Rights counted 757 women and children among the dead, nearly double those killed in September.

It’s likely that more than 40,000 civilians and fighters on both sides have died violently since March 2011, when the conflict began.

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • China says one-fifth of its farmland is polluted

    Nearly one-fifth of China's farmland is polluted, mostly from yearslong accumulations of toxins from factories, mining and agriculture, the government said, raising sharp concerns about the country's food safety after years of unbridled industrialization.

  • Avalanche sweeps Everest; 4-5 believed buried

    Officials say about five climbers are feared missing after an avalanche swept the slopes of Mount Everest and hit a route used to assent the world's highest peak.

  •  
FILE - This undated file photo shows the South Korean ferry Sewol that sank Wednesday, April 16, 2014 off South Korea's southern coast with 475 people aboard, likely with scores of people trapped inside. The Sewol now sits — with just part of its keel visible — in waters off Mokpo, about 470 kilometers (290 miles) from Seoul. (AP Photo/Yonhap, File) KOREA OUT

    Divers pumping air into submerged SKorean ship

    Coast guard officials say divers have begun pumping air into a submerged South Korean ship 48 hours after it listed and sank. But it wasn't immediately clear if the air was for survivors or for a salvage operation.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category