Israeli report says Netanyahu, military were split over possible attack on Iran

 

McClatchy Newspapers

Israel’s military leaders refused two years ago to put the country’s army on alert for immediate action against Iran, telling Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ehud Barak that Israel was not ready to take on Iran alone, according to a new documentary that aired here Monday.

In an hour-long investigative report, the Israeli television program “Uvda” said that Netanyahu had ordered the heightened military alert during a meeting in late 2010. The report described the country’s top military and intelligence leaders, Israel Defense Forces chief Gabi Ashkenazi and the director of the Mossad spy agency, Meir Dagan, as “shocked” by Netanyahu’s move and said they both argued strongly against the measure.

Dagan argued that placing the military on heightened alert could lead to “an illegal decision to go to war,” the program said. Ashkenazi argued that putting the military on alert for an immediate strike would be a step that the country could not easily back way from, the program said.

“This is not something you do unless you are certain you want to use it at the end,” Ashkenazi was quoted as having said. “This is not something you step down from.”

In an on-camera interview for the program, Barak confirmed that Netanyahu issued the order, but he said it was not carried out because Ashkenazi said the military couldn’t carry out an attack on Iran. Ashkenazi denied that, however, and said the decision not to go forward had been a political one.

Israeli news organizations reported at the time that there had been a dispute between Barak and Ashkenazi, but the details had never been revealed.

The report renews questions about whether Israel would be able to take unilateral action against Iran over that country’s nuclear enrichment program, which Israel claims is intended to develop a weapon but that Iran says is for peaceful purposes only.

Publicly, Israel’s leaders have always said that “every option is on the table” when it comes to stopping Iran’s nuclear program. Defense analysts, however, have argued that it would be extremely difficult – if not impossible – for Israel to carry out an attack without U.S. support.

Since 2010, Iran has reinforced its nuclear facilities and, according to Israeli intelligence reports, moved much of its nuclear program below ground. Former CIA head Michael Hayden has said that a successful strike on Iran was “beyond their (Israel’s) capacity.”

In Israel, however, many believe that Netanyahu and Barak continue to favor unilateral Israeli action and have moved to replace opponents of such a move with others. Since 2010, Dagan has been replaced by Tamir Pardo as head of the Mossad and Ashkenazi has been replaced by Benyamin Gantz as head of the IDF.

In their retirement, both Dagan and Ashkenazi have been outspoken about their opposition to attacking Iran over its nuclear program.

In August, during an interview with Israel’s Channel Two news, Ashkenazi argued that sanctions and diplomacy needed to remain the priority on Iran. Asked if Israel should consider a military strike, Ashkenazi said "We’re still not there.”

Dagan has said in repeated interviews that bombing Iran would be “a mistake.”

Frenkel is a McClatchy special correspondent. Twitter: @sheeraf

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
In this July 28, 2014, photo, In this July 28, 2014 photo, Ven Kimsorn, 47, drives a tuk-tuk for a living. He lost four siblings under the Khmer Rouge, and hopes the trial of their leaders brings home the lesson that evildoers will face punishment. A U.N.-assisted genocide tribunal will deliver a verdict this coming Thursday in the trial of the two top leaders of the communist Khmer Rouge, whose extremist policies in the late 1970s are blamed for the deaths of an estimated 1.7 million Cambodians though starvation, medical neglect, overwork and execution.

    Justice delayed is pondered in Cambodia

    A U.N.-assisted genocide tribunal will deliver a verdict this coming Thursday in the trial of the two top leaders of the communist Khmer Rouge, whose extremist policies in the late 1970s are blamed for the deaths of an estimated 1.7 million Cambodians though starvation, medical neglect, overwork and execution.

  •  
This photo released by China's Xinhua News Agency shows the site of an explosion at an eastern Chinese automotive parts factory in Kunshan City, Jiangsu Province Saturday, Aug. 2, 2014.  Dozens of people were killed Saturday by the explosion at the factory that supplies General Motors, state media reported. (AP Photo/Xinhua, Wang Hengzhi) NO SALES

    Car parts plant blast in China kills 65, hurts 100

    Sixty-five people were killed and dozens seriously burned Saturday by an explosion at an eastern Chinese automotive parts factory that supplies General Motors, state media reported.

  •  
This undated photo shows Israeli Army 2nd. Lt. Hadar Goldin, 23 from Kfar Saba, central Israel. Israeli army spokesman Lt. Col. Peter Lerner said Friday, Aug. 1, 2014 that Goldin was apparently captured by Hamas militants who came through a tunnel from the Gaza Strip and another two soldiers were killed. An hour after Friday's cease-fire started, gunmen emerged from one or more Gaza tunnels and opened fire at Israeli soldiers, with at least one of the militants detonating an explosives vest, said Lerner. Goldin was apparently captured during the ensuing mayhem and taken back into Gaza through a tunnel.

    Israel bombards Gaza as it searches for soldier

    Israel bombarded the southern Gaza town of Rafah on Saturday as troops searched for an officer they believe was captured by Hamas in an ambush that shattered a humanitarian cease-fire and set the stage for a major escalation of the 26-day-old war.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category