Ryan Tannehill practiced on his injured left leg again Thursday, working with the starters during the period open to the media. But his status for Sunday’s game remains as unclear as ever.
Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports wrote on Twitter that Tannehill had his knee drained twice — once before practice, and once after — and is “50-50” to start against the Colts.
The Dolphins have a firm policy about injuries: they don’t discuss them. Coach Joe Philbin has not broken that rule this week.
“There’s nothing else new to report on that,” Philbin said after telling reporters that all three quarterbacks practiced Thursday, and that Tannehill was limited.
“We’re going to see how practice unfolds and make the best decision for the team when we have enough appropriate information,” he added. “Beyond that, that’s the quarterback discussion for the day.”
During practice, Tannehill again worked with a brace on his left knee, the lingering effects of a bone bruise he sustained early in the Dolphins’ win against the Jets.
Tannehill, who was limited in practice, strode through the Dolphins’ locker room afterward, barefoot and without a noticeable limp.
Cornerback Richard Marshall has neither practiced nor played in more than a month because of his injured back. However, Marshall has not undergone surgery for the injury, a source said, and Marshall told reporters Thursday that he does not consider his ailing back a long-term problem.
“I haven’t had a setback yet,” said Marshall, who by all appearances will miss his fourth consecutive game Sunday. “We’ve actually been moving forward. I don’t have the strength to do what I need to do on the field. I’m not going to go out there and jeopardize the team, because I’m not 100 percent.”
Wide receiver Jabar Gaffney also was absent from practice Thursday, but not because of injury. The team said he had a “non-football” issue.
Brian Hartline was limited in practice because of a groin injury, the only other change to the team’s report.
When a coach singles you out during a team meeting, you’re usually in line for a good tongue-lashing.
Not so for Cameron Wake on Thursday. When his name flashed up on the screen behind Philbin, it was for praise.
The league named Wake the AFC’s Defensive Player of the Month for October — even though he played in just three games in the month. It was Wake’s first player of the month award in his four-year career, and the first by any Dolphins defender since Joey Porter won it in 2008.
Wake had three sacks and nine tackles in October, leading the Dolphins to a 3-0 record. Wake has 7.5 sacks in seven games this year, tied for fourth in the league.
“Little pat on the back,” Wake said with a smile. “I’m kind of accepting this award for the defense. They’ve all been playing hard this past month.”
Thursday’s trade deadline passed without the Dolphins making a move. As of Thursday afternoon, they still had not filled the roster spot left vacant when they released Anthony Armstrong earlier in the week.