Miami Marlins

Miami Marlins deny report of Alex Rodriguez for Heath Bell trade talks

 

cspencer@miamiherald.com

The Marlins are in the market for a third baseman, making it their top priority this offseason.

Whether that hole is filled by Alex Rodriguez remains to be seen.

Multiple sources shot down a report Wednesday stating that the Marlins have had discussions with the New York Yankees involving a Heath Bell-for-Rodriguez deal.

“Not true,” Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told yankees.com.

Two sources told The Miami Herald that there was no truth to the report.

But Keith Olbermann, in his blog for mlb.com, said “sources close to both organizations” confirmed the discussions and that the Yankees would be willing to eat the $114 million remaining on Rodriguez’s contract. In return, the Marlins would give up Bell and agree to pay the $18 million still owed to the reliever.

“None of the sources could give an indiction as to how serious the discussions have already gotten, but one of them close to the Marlins’ ownership said he believed the trade made sense for both sides, and would eventually be made in some form,” Olbermann wrote.

ESPN.com later reported that, according to a source with knowledge of the conversation, the rumor “began as a casual, joking conversation between Yankees president Randy Levine and Miami Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria.”

“Alex is Mr. Miami, it would be great if he played here for us,” Loria told Levine, according to ESPN’s source.

Levine’s reply: “You can have him.”

Rodriguez, 37, has been benched and pinch-hit for repeatedly in the postseason because of a pronounced slump at the plate.

“His bat is slowing down, and he’s getting beat by fastballs,” a scout told The Herald.

Though he has the right to veto any trade, Rodriguez might find Miami — where he grew up and attended high school — an attractive landing spot to close out his career.

• Marlins outfielder Scott Cousins was claimed off waivers by the Toronto Blue Jays, and reliever Sandy Rosario was claimed by the Boston Red Sox.

The Marlins outrighted infielders Donnie Murphy, Nick Green and Gil Velazquez to Triple A New Orleans, bringing to 35 the number of players on their 40-man roster.

Read more Top Sports Stories stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Miami Marlins manager Mike Redmond reacts furiously after the safe call at the plate by the umpire in the eight inning during their game against the Cincinnati Reds at Marlins Park in Miami on July 31, 2014.

    Reds 3, Marlins 1

    Miami Marlins left raging after replay review helps Cincinnati Reds to victory

    The Marlins lost to the Reds after a play at the plate, in which Cincinnati’s Zack Cozart was thrown out at the plate, was reversed.

  •  
Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice answers question during a news conference after NFL football training camp practice in Owings Mills, Md. on July 31, 2014.

    In My Opinion | David J. Neal

    David J. Neal: NFL fumbled on Ray Rice punishment, then tried to justify it

    Baltimore Ravins running back Ray Rice spoke publicly Thursday for the first time since security camera video and NFL discipline transformed him into the latest domestic violence national talking point. Rice occasionally came off as self-centered. He also indulged in some self-victimization. Generally, however, he seemed seriously ashamed of the actions toward his wife in February that got him charged with felony aggravated assault.

  •  
Joey Grosso was added to the UM football 105-man roster Tuesday and died Wednesday while scuba diving during lobster miniseason.

    UM FOOTBALL

    Man who died scuba diving was added to Miami Hurricanes roster a day earlier

    Joey Grosso, the 22-year-old Lighthouse Point resident and former Penn linebacker who died Wednesday while scuba diving on the first day of lobster mini-season, had been added to the 105-man Miami Hurricanes football roster Tuesday, UM confirmed Thursday.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category