CUBA

Cuba says Fidel Castro sent message to med grads

 

After a week of rumors saying that Fidel Castro had died or was on life support, the Cuban government releases a message from Castro to medical school graduates.

WEB VOTE Will the lifting of the travel permit requirement by Cuba trigger a mass exodus from the island?

jtamayo@ElNuevoHerald.com

Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro on Wednesday sent congratulations to a medical school graduation, his first reported but unconfirmed sign of life since widespread rumors last week that he was on his deathbed, in a coma or already dead.

Cuba’s official Prensa Latina news agency reported that Public Health Minister Roberto Morales had read Castro’s message during the graduation ceremony Friday at the Victoria de Girón Institute for Basic and Pre-Clinical Sciences in Havana.

The dispatch said diplomas signed by Castro and coins commemorating the school’s 50th anniversary were handed out at the event, but provided no direct quotes from his message. The Castro photo published on the Prensa Latina web page seemed to have come from archives.

Indeed, the report seemed intended more than anything else to put to rest the rumors that the 86-year-old Castro, Cuba’s ruler from 1959 to 2006, had suffered a severe health emergency in recent days.

Castro has not been seen in public since he met in March with visiting Pope Benedict XVI, and has not written one of his opinion columns, known as “reflections from Fidel,” since June 19.

Several bouts of rumors about his ill health made the rounds during the summer, but they made headlines last week, when there was no word of a message from Castro congratulating Hugo Chávez, a key Havana ally, on his reelection to the Venezuelan presidency on Oct. 7.

One Venezuelan journalist critical of Chávez reported Thursday that Castro’s death would be announced within 72 hours, and there were other claims that the Cuban had suffered a stroke or was on life support.

Castro claims to have survived more than 600 efforts to assassinate him, and after each of the dozens of rumors about his death from natural causes, he has made public appearances to prove that he remained alive.

Castro underwent emergency surgery in 2006 for an undisclosed ailment that he later acknowledged had nearly killed him. His brother Raúl succeeded him, at first temporarily and then officially in 2008.

Read more Top Stories stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category