• Impact player: Cincinnati cornerback Terrance Newman caused Jorvorskie Lane’s drive-ending fumble and tripped up Reggie Bush for a 2-yard loss to lead to a three-and-out on the Dolphins first possession.
• Highlights: Randy Starks sacked Andy Dalton on the Bengals first play, setting a tone for the day. Jimmy Wilson knocked away a potential touchdown pass before the Bengals’ second field goal. Bush’s carries and Brian Hartline’s catches moved the Dolphins into field-goal range.
• Lowlights: Lane’s fumble at the Bengals 11 kept the Dolphins off the scoreboard. Reshad Jones letting a Bengals punt barely touch him, and the Bengals recovering what was technically a muff led to Cincinnati’s 3-0 lead in the first quarter.
• Impact player: Dolphins rookie quarterback Ryan Tannehill was 3-for-4 passing — and the one incompletion was a sack-avoiding throwaway — for 51 yards on the Dolphins’ 63-yard touchdown drive.
• Highlights: Miami running back Daniel Thomas got the last five yards on the touchdown drive on two carries. On the ensuing Bengals drive, linebacker Koa Misi popped the ball free from receiver Armon Binns after a third-down reception and defensive lineman Tony McDaniel recovered the ball at the Bengals’ 47.
• Lowlights: On fourth-and-1 from the Bengals’ 38, the 260-pound Lane got stuffed by Geno Atkins (Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas) and Reggie Nelson (University of Florida) for the turnover on downs.
• Impact player: Dolphins defensive tackle Randy Starks jumped and intercepted a Dalton pass to put the Dolphins into position for the 14-6 lead, then started the next Bengals’ possession, a three-and-out, by batting down a pass.
Highlights: After Starks’ interception, the Dolphins’ drove 36 yards to a 13-yard touchdown run by Bush in three plays. The next drive, Dan Carpenter’s 46-yard field goal gave the Dolphins a 17-6 lead. The Dolphins followed each scoring drive by getting a three-and-out.
• Lowlights: Carpenter went wide right with a 53-yard field goal attempt, which, like last week’s long miss against the Cardinals, could have really put a psychological bullet in a team being dominated defensively.
• Impact player: Safety Reshad Jones capped a strong game by intercepting Dalton, ending the Bengals last hope.
• Highlights: A coverage sack by Cameron Wake ended a Bengals drive with the Dolphins up 17-13. Then, from their own 3, up only 17-13, the Dolphins got three first downs before punting. Thomas converted the first third down by running through linebacker Rey Maualuga’s tackle. Mike Nugent missed a 41-yard field goal.
• Lowlights: On the quarter’s second snap, A.J. Green caught a fade over Sean Smith for a 2-yard touchdown that pulled the Bengals within a touchdown. Charles Clay not only failed to get a first down on third-and-8 with the Dolphins trying to exhaust the clock, but let himself get pushed out of bounds, saving the Bengals a timeout.