Chaminade-Madonna volleyball coach Jason Johnson has worked hard to help build a strong tournament in Broward County over the years. The fact that all proceeds benefit a local cancer center makes the Chaminade-Madonna Cares Tournament even more of an event.
Chaminade-Madonna volleyball coach Jason Johnson has worked hard to help build a strong tournament in Broward County over the years.
The fact that all proceeds benefit a local cancer center makes the Chaminade-Madonna Cares Tournament even more of an event.
The Lions, who went into Thursday’s district match against visiting Cardinal Gibbons unbeaten through their first 10 games, are one of the top teams in the 16-school tournament.
Other schools participating are: Archbishop McCarthy, Ransom Everglades, Boca St Andrew’s, West Broward, Nova, Palmer-Trinity, Coral Springs Christian, Western, Cypress Bay, Hollywood Hills, Westminster Academy, Pompano Beach, Sagemont, Southwest Miami and North Broward.
Play kicks off Friday at both Chaminade-Madonna Prep in Hollywood as well as Archbishop McCarthy in Cooper City. Play resumes Saturday at Chaminade with the finals scheduled for 5:45 p.m.
“I want to have as strong a tournament as I can get,” Johnson said before his team played the Chiefs. “We tried to get teams who did something in the playoffs the year before. We usually end up with half the teams being district champs. It’s important that we play good competition and teams that you maybe can’t see in the regular season but can play in a tournament. It’s a good test.”
All proceeds from the tournament will go to the Michael and Dianne Bienes Cancer Center at Holy Cross Hospital in Fort Lauderdale. Players also have been selling pink tournament shirts for $10 with that money going to the center as well. Johnson said more than $5,000 was raised last year.
• Sagemont d. Westminster Academy 25-12, 25-14, 25-20: Megan Bodden 13 kills, 5 digs, 5 points. Nikki Rodriguez 18 assists, 7 points, 8 aces, 3 digs. SAG 7-7.
• St. Thomas d. Martin County 25-11, 25-20, 19-25, 25-15: Nikki Lyons 20 kills, 8 digs, 2 aces. Jackie Edge 7 kills. STA 12-3.
• Pompano d. American Heritage 25-8, 25-20, 25-14: Sarah Angulo 13 digs, 2 blocks, 3 kills, 2 points 1 ace. POMP 7-9
• Archbishop Curley d. Dade Christian 25-21, 25-20, 25-15: Jensen Rayburn 10 kills 2 blocks, 4 digs. Megan Romanik 6 aces, 7 kills, 6 digs. Shatoreia Edgecome 2 aces, 4 kills, 2 digs, 2 assists.
• American d. Hialeah Gardens 26-25, 25-17, 16-25, 26-24: Kiera Whitehead 15 kills, 8 blocks, 2 digs. Kayla Incera 15 assists, 3 kills. Nina Ortiz 3 kills, 2 digs.
• St. Brendan d. Key West 25-11, 25-18, 30-28: Juliana Calienes 20 kills. Kasey Garcia 12 kills. Tamara Araujo 10 kills. Stefani Rodriguez 19 digs. SB 8-4.
• Ransom d. La Salle 25-14, 25-19, 25-19: Lisette Tellez 6 digs, 6 kills. Sophie Bullard 7 kills. Nikki Colonna 27 assists. Jessica Mandel 7 kills. RAN 11-2.
• Killian d. Southridge 25-14, 25-9, 25-13: Daisy Marrero 7 kills, 11 points. Fabiana Morales 25 assists. Marisela Sarobe 5 kills, 6 points. KIL 7-7.
• Doral d. Miami Springs 25-19, 26-24, 25-18: Jessica Almeida: 7 kills, 2 aces. Kailyn Woods 15 kills. Natalia Castro 5 kills, 35 Assists, 2 aces. DOR 7-5.