FLORIDA PANTHERS

Five Florida Panthers games wiped out as NHL cancels first two weeks of season

 

grichards@MiamiHerald.com

The Florida Panthers planned to raise their first banner to commemorate an on-ice achievement since their Miami Arena days on Oct. 13.

The pregame party to celebrate the Panthers’ first Southeast Division championship is now officially on ice.

The National Hockey League locked out their players on Sept. 16 and canceled the first two weeks of the 2012-13 season on Thursday afternoon.

Florida was scheduled to open against the rival Lightning on Oct. 13. The Panthers also lost a home game against the Islanders (Oct. 18) as well as road games against the Islanders, Capitals and Lightning.

This is the third week of the lockout; Florida’s preseason schedule was supposed to wrap up with a home game against the Lightning on Saturday.

Although the NHL and its teams say the cancellations were “necessary because of the absence of a Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NHL Players’ Association and the NHL,” the players’ association boss contradicted that in a statement released Thursday.

Donald Fehr, head of the NHLPA, reiterated that the union offered to work under the old pact as negotiations went on.

The NHL said rejected that earlier this summer and stood by its stance that if (and when) the CBA expired, the players would be locked out.

“The decision to cancel the first two weeks of the NHL season is the unilateral choice of the NHL owners,” Fehr said in the statement. “If the owners truly cared about the game and the fans, they would lift the lockout and allow the season to begin on time while negotiations continue.

“A lockout should be the last resort in bargaining, not the strategy of first resort. … Nevertheless, the players remain committed to playing hockey while the parties work to reach a deal that is fair for both sides. We hope we will soon have a willing negotiating partner.”

The Panthers next scheduled game is for Oct. 25 at Winnipeg. The home opener is now scheduled for Oct. 29 against the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Read more Top Sports Stories stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Miami Marlins manager Mike Redmond reacts furiously after the safe call at the plate by the umpire in the eight inning during their game against the Cincinnati Reds at Marlins Park in Miami on July 31, 2014.

    Reds 3, Marlins 1

    Miami Marlins left raging after replay review helps Cincinnati Reds to victory

    The Marlins lost to the Reds after a play at the plate, in which Cincinnati’s Zack Cozart was thrown out at the plate, was reversed.

  •  
Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice answers question during a news conference after NFL football training camp practice in Owings Mills, Md. on July 31, 2014.

    In My Opinion | David J. Neal

    David J. Neal: NFL fumbled on Ray Rice punishment, then tried to justify it

    Baltimore Ravins running back Ray Rice spoke publicly Thursday for the first time since security camera video and NFL discipline transformed him into the latest domestic violence national talking point. Rice occasionally came off as self-centered. He also indulged in some self-victimization. Generally, however, he seemed seriously ashamed of the actions toward his wife in February that got him charged with felony aggravated assault.

  •  
Joey Grosso was added to the UM football 105-man roster Tuesday and died Wednesday while scuba diving during lobster miniseason.

    UM FOOTBALL

    Man who died scuba diving was added to Miami Hurricanes roster a day earlier

    Joey Grosso, the 22-year-old Lighthouse Point resident and former Penn linebacker who died Wednesday while scuba diving on the first day of lobster mini-season, had been added to the 105-man Miami Hurricanes football roster Tuesday, UM confirmed Thursday.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category