State Department delay cited in seeking Pentagon protection for FBI agents in Libya


McClatchy Newspapers

The State Department took nearly three weeks to formally request U.S. military protection for FBI agents assigned to investigate the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, which killed the U.S. ambassador to that country and three other Americans, according to a senior U.S. official and a person familiar with the matter.

A State Department spokesman denied that the request took that long, but the fact that the FBI team arrived only Thursday in Libya’s second largest city while journalists have been there since the day after the assault has added to what lawmakers and others criticize as a disorganized response by the Obama administration to the deterioration of security there.

U.S. officials apparently took few steps to fortify the Benghazi consulate, despite growing signs that the city had become a dangerous place. The consulate was the target of a bomb in June, and Great Britain and the International Committee of the Red Cross withdrew their representatives from the city over the summer after they were targeted in separate incidents. After the Sept. 11 attack, the Obama administration offered a version of what took place that was sharply at odds with that offered by the Libyan government and witnesses to the attack.

Benghazi remains perilous. The Islamist militants blamed in the attack have returned to the city after being driven out by tens of thousands of demonstrators in the days after the consulate assault, and they have attacked police and soldiers in recent days.

The senior U.S. official said that “U.S. military assets” were moved into the Libya region “very soon after the attack” to support “whatever other U.S. agency” sought assistance, but the State Department didn’t make its request to the Pentagon for protection for the FBI investigators until recently.

Those assets included two U.S. destroyers and U.S. troops with Operation Juniper Spear, a counterterrorism effort against al Qaida in the Maghreb, or AQIM, according to the person familiar with the matter. AQIM is an al Qaida affiliate that has seized control of the northern half of Mali and is branching out into other parts of North Africa.

The senior U.S. official and the person familiar with the matter requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue and the frictions that it has created between the State and Defense departments.

Some 120 assailants firing assault rifles and rocket-propelled grenades stormed the consulate on the evening of Sept. 11 and then attacked a consulate annex where 25 to 30 U.S. personnel had taken refuge. U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and Sean Smith, a State Department computer specialist, died from smoke inhalation in the consulate’s main building, which the attackers had set on fire. Two U.S. security contractors, former Navy SEALs Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods, were shot and killed when the annex, where the local office of the CIA was based, came under attack.

Stevens’ death marked the first slaying of a U.S. ambassador since 1979.

FBI agents assigned to investigate the killings were under “temporary duty mission,” meaning that they are under the authority of the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli.

State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland refused to discuss the FBI investigation on Thursday, though she acknowledged problems, particularly in securing the buildings. Reporters for various news agencies have been able to visit the abandoned mission, where they have examined sensitive, though not classified, documents that remain strewn throughout the buildings.

“We have had some challenges securing the site,” Nuland said. “We are continuing to talk to the Libyan side about that.”

It was unclear how long the FBI agents would remain in Benghazi after their arrival Thursday – 23 days after the attack – or how freely they will be allowed to pursue the investigation.

In the days after the attack, Benghazi residents rose up in anger against suspected Islamist militants suspected in the attack, but the city’s respite from their influence was short-lived.

A week ago, a police station near Benghazi’s Al Jalaa hospital was attacked by a mob of supporters of the principle group blamed in the consulate attack, Ansar al Shariah. The attackers threw grenades at the police station and sprayed gunfire at four police vehicles. Two of the gunmen were allegedly wearing suicide bomb vests.

On Tuesday, six police officers were injured during several attacks, although the exact details remain sketchy. Two other policemen from the Gar Younis police station were injured when a bomb was thrown at the station.

Another four police officers were reported to have been wounded in two separate attacks near a children’s hospital the same day. In a separate incident, two military personnel were wounded in an explosion from a rocket-propelled grenade shortly after midnight Tuesday, one seriously. A grenade attack against a police checkpoint took place several hours later.

Pentagon spokesman George Little said that the U.S. military had provided protection and transport for the FBI agents, but he offered few other details of the agents’ arrival in Benghazi. When asked how reporters were able to visit the compound on many occasions since the attack while it took the U.S. military three weeks to arrive, he said the military went to Benghazi at the request of the State Department.

“The U.S. military has been willing to consider requests at various points,” Little said. “This is really a question best directed to the State Department and FBI.”

Little described the deployment as a support mission only. He declined to say how many U.S. troops were providing security and would not say how many FBI agents had been sent to Benghazi.

Little also noted that everyone involved had been anxious to get the investigation moving. He called the investigation aggressive.

“We’ve not been sitting around waiting for information to come to us,” he said.

McClatchy special correspondent Mel Frykberg contributed to this story from Cairo.

Email:,; Twitter: @jonathanlanday, @mattschoDCnews

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • NATO criticizes Russian convoy sent into Ukraine

    NATO's secretary general has condemned Russia for sending a "so-called humanitarian convoy" into eastern Ukraine without the consent of the Ukrainian government.

  • Sectarian killings in Iraq leave 70 dead at Sunni mosque

    Gunmen allegedly associated with a pro-government Shiite militia slaughtered more than 70 worshipers at a Sunni mosque in Diyala Province Friday, heightening Iraq’s sectarian divide in a volatile part of the country where government forces are battling militants from the Islamic State.

In this photo taken Monday, Aug. 18, 2014, a worker sweeps the floor next to bundles of flattened plastic bottles ready to be recycled, at the East African Compliant Recycling facility in Machakos, near Nairobi, in Kenya. The amount of electronic waste generated globally last year is enough to fill 100 Empire State Buildings and represents more than 15 pounds (6.8 kilograms) for every living person, according to the U.N. Environmental Program, with much of that e-waste exported to developing countries like India and Kenya in the form of used goods.

    Dead floppy drive: Kenya recycles global e-waste

    In an industrial area outside Kenya's capital city, workers in hard hats and white masks take shiny new power drills to computer parts. This assembly line is not assembling, though. It is dismantling some of the estimated 50 million metric tons of hazardous electronic-waste the world generated last year.

Miami Herald

Join the

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category