Marlins 2, Phillies 1

Carlos Lee, Mark Buehrle help Miami Marlins snap seven-game skid

 

Mark Buehrle pitched eight sharp innings, and Carlos Lee had a walk-off single as the Marlins edged the Phillies.




rrico@MiamiHerald.com

For the eighth consecutive game the Marlins failed to score more than three runs. This time though, they did not need to.

Despite Miami having nearly squandered an eight-inning, one-run performance by starter Mark Buehrle (13-13), Carlos Lee hit a walk-off single in the ninth inning against the Philadelphia Phillies to win 2-1 and break his team’s seven-game losing streak.

“In that situation all I was trying to do was stay back and hit the ball to the middle, the big part of the field,” said Carlos Lee, who was mobbed by his teammates after his hit to left-center. “We know we’re out of it, but [our fans] deserve for us to give our best effort every day.”

That hit and a fourth-inning solo home run by Giancarlo Stanton — his 35th of the year — was all the Marlins needed to get their final homestand of the year off to a winning start and eliminate the Phillies from playoff contention..

Left-handers Buehrle and Cliff Lee were engaged in a pitchers’ duel for much of the game — each allowed just one run — but in the end it was relief pitcher Steve Cishek who came away with the victory.

Buehrle’s eight innings meant that he met his goal of 200 innings this season, a mark he has reached each of the past 12 years.

“I’m not surprised,” Guillen said, who previously managed him with the White Sox. “I’ve seen him day in and day out for the last 10 years. … He’s made me look good every five days.”

Buehrle said he was glad that he had reached the milestone but did not seem to revel much in the accomplishment.

“I wish I had more wins and I wish the team played better,” Buehrle said. “I felt like I had a decent season but obviously not good enough because we did not end up where we wanted to be.”

After getting out of the three-hit second inning without surrendering a run, Buehrle was lights out for the next five innings, retiring the next 14 batters in succession.

Although Guillen had been tempted to rest the injured Stanton for the rest of the season, his decision to bring him back for the homestand paid off.

Stanton, who had already doubled earlier in the night, got the Marlins on the scoreboard with a solo home run with two outs in the fourth inning. The 419-foot blast to left field was his 35th of the year, a new career high for the rising star.

Clinging to the 1-0 lead late in the game, Buehrle encountered some trouble in the eighth inning when John Mayberry Jr. hit a lead-off double down the left-field line and was batted in by Jimmy Rollins to tie the score 1-1.

Stanton finished the game 2 for 3 and was intentionally walked immediately before Lee’s game-winning single.

Even though he has missed more than 35 games this season with injuries, Stanton now stands in second place among National League home-run hitters.

“This kid has got the opportunity to be one of the best players in the game because he has a lot of tools besides power,” Guillen said.

Read more Top Stories stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Radamel Falcao gets loose during AS Monaco's training session at FIU on Monday but he might miss Wednesday’s friendly at Marlins Park while still recovering from a knee injury.

    Soccer | AS Monaco vs. Atletico Nacional at Marlins Park (8 p.m., No TV)

    Soccer friendly at Marlins Park will be missing James Rodriguez and possibly Radamel Falcao

    Billed as a battle between two Colombian soccer stars, Radamel Falcao and James Rodriguez, and Colombia’s top club team, the story line for Wednesday night’s match at Marlins Park between AS Monaco and Colombia’s Atletico Nacional has changed dramatically in the last few days.

  • Affordable Care Act

    Dueling rulings create Obamacare uncertainty

    Two courts issued opposing rulings Tuesday on legality of government to provide financial aid to consumers who buy health insurance on Affordable Care Act exchanges.

  •  
A completed trolley depot sits unused in the West Grove.

    Coral Gables

    Coral Gables postpones decision on trolley-dispute settlement

    After hours of debate that at times grew tense on the dais, the Coral Gables City Commission decided Tuesday to send a proposed settlement of a lawsuit back to the negotiating table after city staff raised issues with building a trolley depot underneath a proposed new 13-story condo tower near the Village of Merrick Park.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category