Libyan government challenged within hours of ordering disbandment of militias

 

McClatchy Newspapers

The Libyan government said Saturday that all of Libya’s militias would be brought under government control or forced to disband within 48 hours, but was quickly challenged.

“We are disbanding all armed groups that do not fall under the authority of the government,” said President of the General National Congress (GNC) Mohammed Magarief. “We are also banning the use of violence and carrying of weapons in public places. It is also illegal to set up checkpoints.”

Within hours, however, the government faced its first challenge from some of its insubordinate security forces and the extra-judicial militias.

On Saturday afternoon Libya’s Tripoli Rixos hotel was stormed by members of the Supreme Security Council (SSC) - an amalgamation of security forces which fall under the jurisdiction of the interior ministry - who threatened to blow it up. The Rixos Hotel serves as a defacto headquarters for the Libyan government.

The SSC men were angered by the lack of support they had received from the defense ministry following fierce clashes between the SSC and alleged Gadhafi loyalists in the town of Brak in central Libya.

Clashes between the two groups started on Wednesday after SSC members tried to arrest a number of Gadhafi sympathizers who had been celebrating Gadhafi’s “Fateh Revolution Day” on Sept. 1.

Many of the SSC members are Salafists and the group is said to be sympathetic to the Muslim Brotherhood

In the arrest attempts they shot dead the sister of one sympathizer as they tried to arrest her brother at the family home. During the melee six people, mostly SSC members, were killed. There was a lull in the fighting on Thursday but on Friday deadlier clashes broke out again with the death of another 16 SSC members and the wounding of 50.

During the week preceding the bloody confrontations, tensions had been building in the town following the alleged mistreatment of locals by the SSC.

After running low on ammunition, the SSC men withdrew from Brak and returned to Tripoli with the bodies of their comrades. They then stormed the Rixos Hotel after claiming that Interior Minister Fawzi Abdel Al and Defense Minister Osama Juwaily had refused to provide them with weapons, more ammunition and ambulances despite promises made by the defense ministry.

The two men had also ignored their repeated requests for a meeting.

The incident ended without casualties.

However, at least 14 people were killed and more than 70 wounded following the storming of several militia bases in Benghazi by thousands of unarmed, angry Libyans on Friday.

The attack on the militia bases followed a “Save Benghazi” mass demonstration in the eastern city which was held to protest the deteriorating security situation in the city which has witnessed a spate of kidnappings, bombings and assassinations over the last few months.

Libyans have been angered by what they see as government complacency and even collusion in a number of milita attacks, including the targeting of Sufi shrines and mosques in several Libyan cities. However, the killing of U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans allegedly by Islamists from the Ansar Al Sharia Militia, during the storming of the U.S. Consulate several weeks ago was a trigger.

The Libyan government has been either unwilling or unable to control the hundreds of armed militias which still control large areas of the country.

Unarmed, thousands of protestors set the headquarters of Ansar Al Sharia ablaze causing the gunmen to flee. They then moved on to several other militia bases which were not connected with the Islamists and forced the gunmen there to also flee.

The reprisals began early the next morning when the bodies of five soldiers from the defense ministry were found on the outskirts of Benghazi. They had been shot in the head, execution style, while their hands were tied behind their backs. A sixth member remains in critical condition in hospital.

The killing of the five soldiers, who were not related to any militia or Salafist group, was thought to have been carried out by militia members in revenge for what they said was the involvement of the army and police members in helping to orchestrate Friday’s protests which targeted them.

Frykberg is a McClatchy special correspondent

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Gov. Jerry Brown, right, and Mexican Secretary of Foreign Affairs Jose Antonio Meade Kuribrena  leave a news conference after talking with reporters Wednesday, July 23, 2014, in Sacramento, Calif.  Brown and Meade attended a luncheon hosted by the California Chamber of Commerce, where they discussed Brown's upcoming visit to Mexico.

    California governor takes dig at Texas guard plan

    California Gov. Jerry Brown took a not-so-subtle dig at Texas' decision to deploy National Guard troops to the border, saying Monday he expects it to be a short-lived measure and that "wiser minds will prevail."

  • Correction: Tour de France story

    In a story July 27 about the Tour de France, The Associated Press reported erroneously the number of years it's been since cyclist Marco Pantani died. He died 10 years ago.

  •  
FILE - In this Dunday, July 27, 2014 file photo, people inspect the destroyed old Mosque of The Prophet Jirjis in central Mosul, Iraq. The revered Muslim shrine was destroyed on Sunday by militants who overran the city in June and imposed their harsh interpretation of Islamic law. he fear, anger and sadness was palpable across Mosul on Saturday, July 26, 2014 as rumors made their way across Iraq’s second-largest city. The militants who had taken over and purged it of some of its most cherished landmarks were eyeing their next target: al-Hadba minaret, an 842-year old tower that leans, like Italy’s Tower of Pisa _ one of the country’s most famous structures which decorates the 10,000 dinar bill until today.

    In Iraq's Mosul, radicals unleash their vision

    Residents of Mosul have watched helplessly as extremists ruling the northern Iraqi city blew up some of their most beloved landmarks and shrines to impose a stark vision of Islam. Next up for destruction, they feared: the Crooked Minaret, a more than 840-year-old tower that leans like Italy's Tower of Pisa.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category