Everyone’s favorite religion, punch line, cult or tax evasion scheme — depending on the individual — is finally on the silver screen (opens Friday in South Florida). The perpetually rumored and much hyped The Master offers a thinly veiled take on Scientology, and the dynamic nature of the relationships between a cultish leader and his disciples. The Paul Thomas Anderson vehicle featuring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Joaquin Phoenix and Amy Adams is very much L. Ron Hubbard-disapproved.
Take this quiz on the impressive array of actors.
1. Joaquin Phoenix was born into acting royalty, as both of his older siblings, River and Rain Phoenix, were successful child stars. To match their earthy names, Joaquin briefly went by what moniker?
2. Roger Ebert described one Philip Seymour Hoffman movie as not only great, but also deserving of the “best film of the decade.” Which film, released in the 2000s, earned this praise?
B. Synecdoche, New York
C. 25th Hour
3. Before her celebrity developed, Amy Adams supported herself by working at which not-exactly-family-friendly establishment?
B. Twin Peaks
C. Bone Daddy’s
D. Tilted Kilt Pub & Eatery
4. Laura Dern appears as a wealthy patron who is lured into “The Cause.” Dern, perhaps best known for her brainy Dr. Ellie Sattler role in Jurassic Park, actually was engaged to one of her Park co-stars for two years. Which inhabitant of Isla Nublar was her fiance?
A. Jeff Goldblum
B. Sam Neill
C. Wayne Knight
D. BD Wong
5. In The Master, Jesse Plemons plays Lancaster Dodd’s son. Plemons is forever remembered and beloved for being Landry, the football-playing, rapist-killing character on the TV series Friday Nights Lights, which has cult-like fans itself. But most recently, which critically adored TV series has he been guesting on?
A. Mad Men
B. Breaking Bad
C. Game of Thrones